Under the direction of the Financial Reporting Manager, Policy Administration Team, conducts outreach and compliance assessments of agency financial activities for adherence to county policies and procedures. Plans, develops, organizes, and performs a variety of high-level analyses of departmental processes, operations and financial data extracts. Provides technical guidance and assists in the development and review of financial and accounting policies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB). Reviews and documents internal financial processes and procedures for the department, ensuring proper internal controls and system reconciliation standards. Identifies deficiencies and develops and implements strategies for improvement. Develops, coordinates, and delivers technical and functional training, workshops, and events to department personnel on financial related topics. Under direction, coordinates, manages and assists with department’s special projects and key initiatives. Manages and coordinates the departments continuity of operations plan (COOP). Performs various duties as assigned in support of departmental needs. Oversees the work of professional and paraprofessional staff.
The successful candidate will be an innovative individual motivated by continual change and superior customer service skills. Be able to work effectively with minimal supervision, prioritize multiple tasks, and work in a fast-paced environment. Accept responsibility and take initiative to ensure accomplishment of the core missions. Have excellent skills and abilities working in a cross-functional team; a proven ability to plan, organize, and collaborate countywide events; and have strong leadership and organizational skills.
Multiple positions will be filled from this job announcement.
Note: Salary offer will not exceed the midpoint ($92,543.15) of the salary range.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
- Supervises staff in preparation of highly complex and diversified financial reports with a countywide impact required by federal and state, including the county’s comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- Serves as a lead consultant and coordinates training opportunities for county departments on accounting and financial reporting matters;
- Participates in development and implementation of countywide policies and procedures pertaining to accounting and financial reporting;
- Coordinates programs with countywide impact (i.e., Integrated Customer Assistance Compliance program, Internal Controls program);
- Participates in the management and oversight of countywide policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all inclusive list.)
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of governmental accounting and fiscal management, and the ability to apply them to complex governmental accounting systems;
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and county procedures, policies, regulations and legislation impacting the maintenance of county financial records and reports;
- Knowledge of electronic financial data processing systems;
- Ability to plan, direct, and supervise the activities of professional accountants engaged in complex accounting work;
- Ability to prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of comprehensive, complex accounting reports and records;
- Ability to develop and implement sound accounting policies and procedures.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting; or a bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field that has been supplemented by at least 24 credit hours of intermediate level accounting or higher; plus four years of increasingly responsible accounting experience including two years experience with automated accounting systems. CPA certification or a master’s degree in an appropriate field may be substituted for one year of required experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and credit check to the satisfaction of the employer. Applicants and employees within these select positions must demonstrate financial responsibility in personal finances as a condition of employment.
This position is emergency/essential services personnel. (Required to report for duty during inclement weather and/or other emergencies.)
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs will still be subject to the weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to address a wide audience.
- Experience recommending, interpreting, and implementing internal controls and policies at a countywide level.
- Experience with prioritizing several activities in progress at one time.
- Experience and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, prioritize multiple tasks, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with automated financial systems and skilled use of databases and applications.
- Experience interpreting and applying policies and regulations.
Ability to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, set, kneel, crouch, reach, crawl, lift and
handle materials with manual dexterity. Job is generally sedentary in nature, however, visual acuity is required to read data on computer monitor. Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment; communicate effectively with others; and lift up to 15 lbs. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.