This paid opportunity was created for actively enrolled MIT undergraduate students in partnership with the PKG Center’s Social Impact Internship program. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
The Federal Funds Office (FFO) has been overseeing COVID-related federal funds in Massachusetts since May 2020. FFO is housed within the Commonwealth’s Executive Office for Administration and Finance, and is charged with coordinating among state agencies, municipalities, and other entities to optimize federal funding, minimize compliance risks, and promote transparency and engagement with the public about federal funds.
The Analytics and Transparency Intern will focus on developing new content and improving existing content on FFO’s transparency website (www.mass.gov/federalfunds), with the potential to support other FFO workstreams depending on the office’s priorities and the intern’s skills and interests.
Specific projects might include:
- Developing interactive data visualization tools that make federal funding data more accessible and meaningful to the public
- Researching transparency efforts by other federal, state, and local governments to identify innovative practices that can be applied in Massachusetts
- Developing new web content that combines funding and spending data with other data sets to assess the impact of federal funds on Massachusetts residents
Desired Skills or Qualifications:
- Experience with or interest in learning data analysis (SQL, Excel) and data visualization software (Tableau, Power BI)
- Interest in government and willingness to engage with a broad range of policy areas (public health, housing, workforce development, and more)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex concepts into simpler terms
- Flexibility to work in a dynamic policy environment, and to work both independently and as part of a team
Stipend: As part of the Social Impact Internship program, students may be eligible for a stipend of up to $5,000.
Desired length of commitment: Full-time over the summer; between 300-400 hours.
Location: The Federal Funds Office is located in Boston, MA and expects to be operating on a hybrid work model in summer 2022. Fully remote work may be an option if the student’s circumstances necessitate it.