As the Associate Engineer in System Planning, you will perform as project support and/or carry out assignments requiring knowledge of subject matter, with experience associated with modeling and planning distribution lines and distribution substation facilities in an electric power system. You will exhibit technical skills on the design of the electric power system in addition to exhibiting knowledge of utility electric power system model. You will provide support to Engineers representing the company regarding matters in distribution planning at the state public utility commissions and various state and regional entities.
- Identify Distribution System problems involving multiple feeders and substations, conducts scenario based planning studies, evaluates alternatives and recommends appropriate solutions to ensure a reliable distribution system.
- Support the development of medium (2-5 year) and long (5+ year) range distribution plans involving load relief, capacity and asset related issues.
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional groups in developing a long-range planning criterion for integrating and enabling two-way communication of new technologies, including photovoltaic solar (PV), electric vehicles (EV), and battery storage.
- Prepare contingency studies for distribution networks including N-1 and N-2 analysis
- Propose new distribution OH and UG feeders.
- Perform area wide voltage and power factor studies, recommending findings to distribution engineering
- Work with the DER planning team on wide area distribution impact of distributed generation and prepare distribution planning studies with varying penetration levels of DERs.
- Conduct load forecast planning studies to determine distribution loads used in planning studies.
- Partner with other engineers/departments (Distribution Engineering, Asset Management, Standards, Transmission/Substation engineering, etc.) to prepare economic analysis for complex projects.
- Conduct and/or manages the studies required to support the need for facilities, the evaluation of alternatives and the preferred solution contained in chapters, reports and testimony for distribution applications for proceedings before regulatory agencies.
- Prepare distribution related documentation to support regulatory filings.
- Effective communication, support and implementation with distribution customers pertaining to proposed facilities.
- Present results to all levels of management as appropriate.
- Represent the department and the company on various committees.
- Support the development and/or changes as appropriate of criteria and standards for distribution planning.
- Knowledge of the use of computer simulation techniques used in electric distribution system analysis, including discrete and 8760-hours simulation.
- Knowledge of new technologies including but not limited to photovoltaic solar, electric vehicles, and battery
- Knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system
- Knowledge of National, State and other planning standards.
- Good written and oral communication skills, including formal presentation.
- Excellent team skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to develop strategic partnerships.
- Ability to achieve desired results by setting high standards for self and others, and accepts responsibility for outcomes.
- B.S. degree in Electrical or Power Technology Engineering required, Electric Power Systems preferred.
- 0-3 years related experience in planning, design, and/or operations related to distribution line and distribution substation facilities, with knowledge of power system planning.