ENVIRONMENTAL INTERN POSITION
Northeast Paving a subsidiary of Eurovia Atlantic Coast, LLC; a full-service construction company, capable of handling projects of every size and scope. Our list of services includes asphalt manufacturing and paving, roadway construction, bridge construction, sitework and development. Every year, we plan and build hundreds of public and privately funded projects safely, successfully, and with an innovative approach to give our clients the greatest possible value for their investment.
Northeast Paving is looking for Summer Environmental Interns for several locations in Maine and Massachusetts. The Summer Environmental Intern handles both office and field responsibilities to meet state & federal requirements, including maintaining compliance with regulation, permits, plans and Company procedures.
The Summer Environmental Intern will work with the Environmental team to support company operations in maintaining compliance with state and federal regulations and implementation of the Environmental Management System procedures and policies. Average work week is 50 hours.
- Learn about Northeast Paving and the work associated with construction and paving projects.
- Rotate through various projects, plants, labs, etc.
- Responsible to archiving and recording all correspondence as directed.
- Ensure all safety & environmental codes, standards, & acceptable practices are adhered to at all times
- Site visits and investigations as needed
- Participation in weekly and monthly safety meetings
- Support operational teams. Ensure personnel understand potential impacts associated with their work and the necessary actions to maintain compliance with regulations, permits, plans and Company procedures
- Provide assistance with compliance activities including permitting, plans, recordkeeping, reporting and managing non-compliance
- Assist with the development and implementation of Environmental Management System policies, procedures, and additional resources to improve performance, mitigate risk, and meet the needs of the Company
- Provide training to personnel as required by permits and internal policies
- Support Company due diligence efforts associated with land use, acquisitions and divestments
- Day travel within assigned area
- Carry out job duties while maintaining Company values
- And other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Requires basic Environmental knowledge.
- Proficient PC skills.
- Familiarity with construction industry practices is required.
- Must be able to understand and communicate effectively.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
The following physical demands are representative while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Regularly required to stand and/or sit during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day.
- Employee is occasionally required to stoop, bend, walk, crouch, and climb.
- Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, at least 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Continuous mental attention required to complete tasks in an efficient manner.
- Exposure to dust, dirt grease and noise.
- Work can be performed at heights up to 60 feet, requiring the employee to climb ladders, scaffolds and stair towers, often with narrow steps and passageways.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground and slopes in varying weather conditions.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, based on project need(s) and demand(s).
- Must wear all required PPE including steel-toed boots/shoes.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed in variety of environments in all weather conditions and terrain.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
- Occasional office work.
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability are encouraged to apply.