Note: ESS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees and community therefore we require COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
Catalyzing a cleaner future.
ESS is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy storage and is consistently identified as one of the most innovative and exciting technology players in energy storage. It is poised to be one of the fastest growing energy technology companies in the world, with projects already across 4 continents and an upcoming public offering. The ESS vision is about enabling the decarbonization of the grid by enabling us to achieve up to 100% of our electricity from clean, sustainable renewable energy.
These are ambitious goals, and we are pursuing them with passion. At ESS, we are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
ESS is hiring a motivated, hard-working Mechanical Engineering Technician to join our team. In this role you will work with mechanical and electrical engineers to assemble batteries and other mechanical systems. You will also set up, operate, and maintain test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies, or systems under simulated operating conditions and record results.
What you’ll do at ESS
· Assemble and operate electromechanical systems that include structural, plumbing, pneumatic, and hydraulic components
· Collaborate with mechanical engineers or other personnel to identify, define, or solve developmental problems
· Provide technical assistance and resolution when mechanical or engineering problems are encountered before, during, and after construction
· Communicate design issues/problems effectively to engineers
· Build, calibrate, maintain, troubleshoot, or repair electrical and mechanical tools and test equipment including, but not limited to, metrology tools, hand tools, drill press, table saw, CNC router, lathe, carver hot press, etc.
· Construct and perform reliability tests on various key system components
· Record test results and perform basic calculations
· Perform in-process inspections steps to ensure the quality of the work performed and the functionality of the component and/or module
· Maintain acceptable housekeeping standards to keep production and work areas clean. Ensuring that all tools, materials, and supplies are returned to their designated locations as soon as the task is finished
· Follow written and verbal work instructions.
What you bring to the table.
· AS Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
· Experience in a manufacturing environment with dynamic daily priorities
· Experience in new-product introduction and scale to manufacturing
· Experience with the properties of common plastics used in manufacturing
· Intermediate to advanced shop math. Knowledge of English/Metric system measurement
· Ability to work on and around industrial power systems
· Proficiency troubleshooting electromechanical systems and mechanisms down to the component level
· Experience reading engineering drawings and mechanical P&IDs
· Experience using basic measuring equipment (calipers, height gauge, micrometer, etc.) to inspect parts and assemblies according to mechanical drawings
· Proficiency with basic shop tools (CNC, lathe, drill press, hand tools, etc.) to fabricate or modify components and assemblies
· Proficient using Microsoft Office tools
· Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a small, dynamic team
· Work independently and proactively
· Ability to follow job required Standards and Safety Protocols, per pre-defined processes.
· Must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment according to OSHA rules and regulations.
We’d love to see:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
· Experience operating 3D printers
· Experience with battery or fuel cell systems
· Experience with basic electrical wiring and electrical schematics
· Experience with programming g-code and operating CNC equipment
Benefits of working at ESS
In addition to the value of working with and helping grow a global reaching clean technology, ESS offers a Company assisted Health insurance, Approved PPE Reimbursement, Medical & Dental; Flex spending account; 8 paid holidays; 401K, and a competitive PTO accrual.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are open to considering every qualified candidate who is eligible and legally authorized to work in the United States on a full or part-time basis, without a need for sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.