Dwight School is the first school in the Americas to offer all four International Baccalaureate programs from preschool to grade 12. Guided by our philosophy of igniting the spark of genius in every child, Dwight is an inclusive school that aims to meet the unique needs, abilities, and interests of each student. At the same time, Dwight challenges every student to develop intellectual independence, respect for diversity and belonging, and to become innovators and thought leaders.
Known for its low student-teacher ratio, Dwight enrolls 1,100 students with 400 faculty and staff. Our School rests on three pillars: personalized learning, community, and global vision. As part of a leading global network of schools, Dwight offers employees exciting cross-campus opportunities. Additionally, with the support of The Dwight School Foundation’s generous grants, Dwight provides faculty professional development, enabling teachers to deepen their content knowledge and pursue their own sparks of genius to be shared with the community.
At Dwight, we strive to ensure that our environment is welcoming — a place in which everyone can thrive — and an organization we are proud of. We recognize that this takes trusting relationships and ensuring that all individuals feel valued regardless of their backgrounds. At Dwight, we encourage diversity in all respects, including diversity of thought, and embrace innovation and foster collaboration and growth.
We consistently strive to advance the equity, diversity and belonging of our community in all domains, including the curriculum, admissions, environment, and hiring. Our goal is to achieve and maintain equal employment opportunities, with policies in place to maintain a work environment free from discrimination.
As a school, we prioritize the health and safety of all community members, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have numerous protocols and precautionary measures in place for everyone’s protection, and all community members are required to follow strict guidelines, including wearing a face covering at all times, performing daily symptom checks, and taking weekly COVID-19 tests.
Preschool Head Teacher
Grades: 2 & 3 year olds
Part Time, 8 am – 1 pm
Start date: Immediate opening
We are seeking a self-directed, experienced, and energetic educator for a head teacher position in the preschool 2s program for the 2021-22 school year.
- B.A./B.S. degree or equivalent degree or educational qualification from an accredited college or university; M.A./M.S. degree in Early Childhood Education preferred
- New York State teaching certification or currently enrolled in graduate studies in the field of early childhood education
- At least two years early childhood teaching experience in public or independent schools
- Strong skills in early childhood development, including meeting the social and emotional needs of children as well as addressing cognitive and academic skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Display a commitment to diversity and create a culture of equity, inclusion, and belonging in approach to teaching and learning, as they are recognized and valued by Dwight School.
- Teach a class of 10 students in the context of a transdisciplinary and inquiry-based curriculum with willingness to learn about the Primary Years Program of the International Baccalaureate.
- Set up and maintain a safe, healthy, orderly and challenging classroom environment. Work collaboratively with the assistant teacher to prepare and implement activities.
- Communicate with parents via home visits, conferences, meetings, newsletters, emails, phone calls, etc. in order to provide continuity and communication between home and school. Maintain a professional relationship with parents and respect confidentiality.
- Collaborate with other faculty and staff members to coordinate efforts and make joint program decisions, as well as attending meetings and school events.
- Willingness to engage with and learn from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and to teach to a range of learners.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to https://dwightschool.applytojob.com/apply with the title “Preschool Head Teacher”.
We are committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as accessible as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the recruitment process, or provide any information in an alternative format, please let us know.
Dwight School’s goal is to achieve and maintain equal employment opportunities. It is also the policy of Dwight School to maintain a work environment free from discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran/military status, marital status, or other status protected by federal or state law, with regards to any term or condition of employment.