DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
At DSM, we are working to create brighter lives for all. Our future is rooted in our passion for science and in finding smart solutions to solve society’s greatest challenges. Our vision of the future inspires and encourages us to step up, rewrite rules, and progress together.
Bring your passion. Build the future.
We are hiring a Scientist I
Location: Columbia, MD
We have an exciting opening for the role of Scientist I in our Columbia, MD plant location. The Scientist I will characterize new bacterial strains for DSM fermentation process to produce products that enhance human and animal nutrition.
At DSM our goal is to create brighter lives for all and we spend every day looking for exciting new ways to make that a reality. At our core, our business starts with our people and we’re eager to include you! Our ideal candidates are collaborative individuals who are caring and daring. These candidates are committed to continued growth and bringing new ideas forward to propel our thinking and drive to set our pace.
• Do you have an enthusiasm for sustainability?
• Do you want to set the standard by working towards sustainable solutions for all?
• Are you passionate about the impact of scientific solutions?
• Do you have the skills and expertise to excel in a collaborative and ambitious environment?
If you said yes to the questions above and you want to make your mark on the world, you’ve found the right match in the DSM family!
You’ll be responsible for:
• The ability to work across functional teams in the R&D process (all teams are onsite!)
• Willingness to be in the lab on average 80% of the time
• The flexibility to work weekends approximately once a month
• The ability to act as the fermentation tech lead on projects, working with the project tech lead to offer expertise and scope out experimental plans
• Advance our understanding of both naturally sourced and metabolically engineered strains of bacteria to deepen our knowledge of the interactions of a strain and the fermentation conditions, parameters and configurations which trigger optimal product yields, titers and productivities
• Generate and analyze experimental data and develop new strategies to improve performance of microbial strains
• You will design and execute microbial strain evaluations, process improvement experiments, and microbial physiology investigations using a multitude of fermenter vessel scales and process configurations to deliver experimental results which results in the development of large-scale industrial fermentation processes under optimal conditions of performance, robustness and quality for the Business Unit
What we like to see in your experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Microbial Physiology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent with at least 5 years of experience in fermentation / biotechnological industry
• Master’s degree Microbial Physiology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent with at least 2 years of experience in fermentation / biotechnological industry
Skills preferred, but not necessary:
• Experience in any programming language (especially Python)
• Knowledge of analytical software
• Statistical analysis capability
Get the reward to match your passion!
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives by solving the puzzles and answering many of the questions facing today’s world. Exciting and provocative career opportunities and an inspiring, collaborative environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
At DSM, we Do Something Meaningful.
Interested in this position? Please apply online by sending us your Resume and Cover letter in English via the career portal (www.dsm.com/careers).
**Pre-employment screenings are part of the DSM Recruitment & Selection Process. You will be contacted when further information is required. In the Recruitment process, we will use the Occupational Personality Questionnaire to provide insight on your learning adaptability, preferred operating style and motivation for this position.**
DSM NA is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. DSM is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.