DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
At DSM, we are working to create brighter lives for all. Our future is rooted in our passion for science and in finding smart solutions to solve society’s greatest challenges. Our vision of the future inspires and encourages us to step up, rewrite rules, and progress together.
Bring your passion. Build the future.
We are hiring a Fermentation Operation Scientist
Location: Columbia, MD
DSM Nutritional Products has created a position that will focus on continuous improvement in our R&D facility and operations. At our core, our business starts with our people and we’re eager to include you! Our ideal candidates are collaborative individuals who are caring and daring. These candidates are committed to continued growth and bringing new ideas forward to propel our thinking and drive to set our pace.
If you’re passionate about the future of our society and the planet we all share, and you want to make your mark on the world…you’ve found the right match in the DSM family!
You’ll be responsible for:
• Strong knowledge of fermentation equipment and workflows that will be leveraged to develop an operations optimization plan across multiple labs to deliver on business deliverables spanning several projects
• Continuous improvement and track record of being able to identify and implement improvement strategies
• Drive the improvement of workflows, process safety, lab capacity/efficiency and asset utilization
• Evaluate fermentation R&D workflows and identify and execute improvements to drive efficiency and enable project teams to meet and exceed R&D milestones
• Lead continuous improvement projects/activities that focus on scouting and evaluation of new technologies that improve research performance, asset utilization, and laboratory operation efficiency
What we like to see in your experience:
• Hands-on experience with bench-scale and pilot-scale fermentation equipment
• Strong engineering fundamentals with the proven ability to specify equipment needs and lead small to medium-sized capital projects
• Bachelor’s degree Microbial Physiology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent with at least 8 years of experience in fermentation / biotechnological industry
• Master’s degree Microbial Physiology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent with at least 2 years of experience in fermentation / biotechnological industry
Skills preferred, but not necessary:
• An understanding of commercialization processes from lab scale to pilot scale
• Knowledge of mass and heat transfer, mixing and fluid dynamics in different sizes of fermenters/bioreactors
• Familiarity with reliability engineering programs, FMEA and RCA
• Experience with continuous improvement methodologies
• Six Sigma Black Belt Certification is desired
• Lean practitioner certification, a plus
• Project management, leadership, and mentoring capability
• Programming experience/expertise (python, JMP, Spotfire, etc.)
Get the reward to match your passion!
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives by solving the puzzles and answering many of the questions facing today’s world. Exciting and provocative career opportunities and an inspiring, collaborative environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
At DSM, we Do Something Meaningful.
Interested in this position? Please apply online by sending us your Resume and Cover letter in English via the career portal (www.dsm.com/careers).
**Pre-employment screenings are part of the DSM Recruitment & Selection Process. You will be contacted when further information is required. In the Recruitment process, we will use the Occupational Personality Questionnaire to provide insight on your learning adaptability, preferred operating style and motivation for this position.**
DSM NA is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. DSM is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.