Position Title: Senior/Principal Scientist – Discovery Research
Reports to: Director, Discovery Research
Req Number: TBD
Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: DRNA) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing medicines that are designed to leverage ribonucleic acid interference (RNAi) to selectively silence genes that cause or contribute to disease. Using our proprietary RNAi technology platforms called GalXC™ and GalXC-Plus™, Dicerna is committed to developing RNAi-based therapies with the potential to treat both rare and more prevalent diseases. Dicerna’s clinical assets include advanced experimental medicines for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, primary hyperoxaluria (PH), alpha-1-antitrypsin (A1AT) disease, alcohol use disorder (AUD) and cardiovascular diseases. Continually innovating, our talented and diverse scientists are exploring new drug delivery technologies to enable a wide rage of general medicine indications. In addition to our own pipeline of core discovery and clinical candidates, Dicerna has established collaborative relationships with some of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, including Novo Nordisk A/S, Roche, Eli Lilly and Company, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH and Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Between Dicerna and our collaborative partners, we currently have more than 20 active discovery, preclinical or clinical programs focused on rare, cardiovascular, cardiometabolic, viral, chronic liver and complement-mediated diseases, oncology and immuno-oncology, as well as neurodegeneration and pain. At Dicerna, our mission is to interfere – to silence genes, to fight disease, to restore heath. For more information, please visit www.dicerna.com.
Dicerna is seeking a highly motivated and experienced senior level Ph.D. biologist/pharmacologist to join our innovative team. This role represents a leadership opportunity within our growing immunology project team. The ideal candidate will have a background in employing rodent models to perform multi-dimensional evaluations of experimental molecular therapeutics (PK/PD/efficacy). The candidate will be an integral part of our cross-functional R&D team, with a key role in expanding our discovery portfolio to enable future pipeline candidates and strategic alliances. This individual will also contribute to IND/CTA filings and business development activities, serve as a mentor and team builder, and contribute to our exceptional company culture.
- Project leadership: Lead, plan and execute challenging scientific projects to advance our drug discovery objectives. Shape long term research strategy. Project tracking and people management.
- Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic characterization of novel experimental RNAi therapeutics in animal models, and generation of molecular endpoint data
- Design and execution of in vivo experiments to demonstrate preclinical proof-of-principle for novel targets and test articles
- Collaboration with discovery biologists and medicinal chemists for platform development and lead optimization; interface with external partners
- Generation and communication of study reports, data packages, SOPs and related documentation
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or similar
- >8 years of relevant biopharma experience, preferably including industry experience. Job title will be commensurate with experience
- Expertise in rodent pharmacology including study design, dosing, necropsy, tissue processing; strong molecular biology and assay development/implementation background (qPCR, NGS, FACS, Western/ELISA, IHC/histology). Strong knowledge of drug discovery processes. Working knowledge or expertise in immuno-oncology concepts is a plus. Hands-on preclinical tumor modeling experience is preferred.
- Commitment to scientific rigor and ethics, high data quality and careful documentation
- Background in one or more relevant therapeutic areas. Demonstrated scientific track record. Passionate about science, intellectually curious and determined to succeed. Ability to acquire subject matter expertise
- Ability to interact effectively on multidisciplinary teams and participate in our dynamic company culture
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage timelines, manage projects and people (coaching and mentoring junior scientists)
- Strong scientific writing and communication skills, and experience in delivering effective scientific presentations
- Experience, familiarity and/or working knowledge in nucleic acid therapeutics, RNAi, mRNA and related areas