This management position is responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of Defenders of Wildlife’s national advocacy outreach program, including supervision of national outreach team members. The director provides advice and support on the development of federal campaign plans to implement Defenders’ strategic plan priority issues. Through constituency building and mobilization, the program is designed to strengthen Defenders advocacy on federal issues and strategic plan priorities, while increasing long-term support for wildlife conservation nationally and in key states and congressional districts. General responsibilities include: leading the development of short and long-term priority campaign plans to advance federal policies that benefit wildlife at the national level and in target states and congressional districts; overseeing identification of and outreach to traditional and non-traditional constituencies; educating and mobilizing Defenders’ existing regional activist and donor constituencies; expanding public and activist support; utilizing an array of advocacy tools to orchestrate sustained and rapid response constituent pressure on key members of Congress; developing and implementing congressional, administrative and corporate grassroots accountability tactics; leading Capitol Hill lobby days and organizing related receptions and Hill events; and handling associated financial and budgetary matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Vice President for Government Relations and External Affairs, appropriate program Vice Presidents and staff to develop and implement a national advocacy outreach program, including metrics to measure the effectiveness of the program
- In focal regions, organize and expand Defenders’ relations with key constituencies, including but not limited to private landowners, elected officials, outdoor recreation businesses and religious, scientific, key demographic groups and environmental organizations; and mobilize Defenders’ supporters in targeted states and congressional districts on strategic issue priorities
- Work with the Vice President for Government Relations and External Affairs and the designated leads for priority legislative campaigns to help write integrated campaign plans for priority issues, and carry out and oversee the outreach components of the campaigns where appropriate
- Oversee the development and implementation of Defenders’ Campus Club Initiative
- Collaborate with relevant internal departments including Field Conservation, Marketing, and Communications to develop strategies for generating earned media to advance Defenders’ issue priorities, hold elected officials accountable, and strengthen regional support for wildlife conservation
- Manage and/or coordinate projects involving the use of e-mail action alerts, patch-through calls, regional political consultants and other legislative advocacy tools; hire and supervise associated vendors and firms as necessary Direct the development of appropriate grassroots campaign materials such as talking points, factsheets, web content, and multi-media presentations
- Organize congressional receptions and “Lobby Days” for grassroots and grasstops activists, Defenders’ Board members, and partner organizations
- Maintain and develop volunteers and key supporters for campaigns as needed in targeted areas, including the development of outreach materials and research, and the maintenance of volunteer database Engaging Networks
- Represent Defenders in coalitions, public meetings, and conferences to build relationships with existing state and local groups to advance Defenders’ legislative goals
- Develop short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements consistent with strategic planning priorities and available funding
- Develop and recommend departmental budget
- Ensure optimum performance and efficacy of the outreach program. Recommend and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs and maintain state-of-the-art practices
- Recommend, review and approve employment actions, including interviewing, hiring, promotions and raises, in conjunction with Human Resources. Partner with Human Resources in the handling of disciplinary issues
- Ensure clear communication of duties and responsibilities to direct reports, develop metrics to measure performance and monitor performance; provide regular coaching; identify training needs; prepare and deliver salary and performance reviews; review and approve performance and salary appraisals as necessary
- Stay current on legislative and administrative issues of priority interest to Defenders
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent
Experience: 8 years of relevant experience; 3 years supervisory experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Visit www.defenders.org to apply.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Defenders requires employees who engage in in-person work activities, including business travel or onsite work, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An applicant (i) who is disabled or pregnant or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request an exemption from this vaccination policy. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law. Any medical information concerning an applicant’s disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.