About the job
Legend Biotech is seeking Viral Vector Senior/Principal Scientist as part of the Technical Development team based in Somerset, NJ.
From the very beginning, we’ve been focused on the science. We came together as a team of experts, committed to quality, driven by excellence, and dedicated to experimentation. Though we faced many challenges, we remained fearless in our research and rigorous in our thinking, pushing ourselves to work harder. But what impacted us the most was the enormous burden patients’ bear and the difficulties they face, which drove us to think about what’s next.
We believe it’s time to accelerate and expand that transformation. At Legend Biotech, we are excited to bring clinical trials to patients in our pursuit of a cure. While we are focused on CAR-T in multiple myeloma, we firmly believe the prospects of cellular therapy stretch beyond just one disease or indication. The spark of hope is lit. At Legend Biotech, we’re using that hope to ignite the future of CAR-T cell therapy.
Legend Biotech USA Inc. and Janssen Biotech, Inc., one of the pharmaceutical companies of Johnson & Johnson, have entered into a global, strategic collaboration to develop, manufacture, and commercialize a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy. This innovative strategic partnership is designed to combine the strengths and expertise of two companies to advance the promise of an immunotherapy CAR T platform and investigational treatment.
Legend Biotech USA, Inc. is seeking a diverse, flexible and driven principal/senior scientist to join our team to further develop and support autologous and allogeneic cellular therapy products via lentivirus platform development. The responsibilities would include development of robust downstream viral manufacturing processes (harvest clarification, large molecule chromatography, TFF/UFDF, and final formulation), assessment of new technologies, SME support for technology transfers, and SME technical input in support of GMP manufacturing. This individual will collaborate with partner functions such as research and development, DP analytical and process development, material sciences, quality, regulatory, manufacturing and supply chain to advance pipeline programs.
- Act as a technical downstream lead for lentiviral and retroviral product manufacturing
- Design, execute, and interpret complex downstream viral process development experiments
- Coordinate, author, and review technical documents, protocols, and reports.
- Analyze, organize, and present data in clear and concise manner.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and prepare protocols and reports in a compliant manner
- Work with internal and external partners to evaluate, develop, oversee technology transfers and lead the implementation of new process technologies related to viral manufacturing
- Author technical documents to support regulatory filings
- Support the evaluation of new CDMO technical capabilities, assist in testing and technical changes, and provide help with execution of development and early clinical project activities.
- Collaborate with internal quality representatives to provide technical SME input related into the GxP practices of external partners.
- PhD or MS in virology, cell/molecular biology, bioengineering or other related discipline. Advanced technical training and experience preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in biotechnology bioprocessing, GMP manufacturing, or large molecule (virus) downstream processing
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture (adherent and/or suspension)
- (Optional) Experience with stir tank reactors (STR), fixed-bed reactors or wave bag reactor systems
- Experience working with BSL2 viruses in closed systems
- Experience with technology transfers
- Expertise in technical development pertinent to viral downstream manufacturing
- Proven leader with ability to build strong partnerships and effectively integrate with external collaborators to drive projects/programs forward in a matrixed environment
- Ability to work independently and successfully prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, integrate cross-functional issues and balance competing priorities effectively
- Ability to manage shifting priorities to meet critical deadlines in a fast paced and dynamic, growing environment
- Adept at working collaboratively with cross-functional teams