Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and Ethernet transport services. Cogent’s facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 209 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Planning and engineering of CWDM and DWDM 10GE and 100GE optical transport networks in major metropolitan areas in North America and Europe to provide high capacity Ethernet (Layer2) and IP transit (Layer 3) services
- Planning and engineering of 10GE and 100GE inter-city backbone transport systems
- Evaluate and approve customer orders and determine network augmentation requirements
- Prepare Bill of Materials (BOM) and Statement of Work (SOW) for complex network augmentations and expansion projects
- Provide “third tier” engineering support to network operations and field engineering teams to troubleshoot optical network issues
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or Optics, or equivalent experience
- Solid knowledge and/or experience with CWDM, DWDM, coherent optical systems
- Knowledge of linear and non-linear effects of optical signals over fiber is desirable
- Experience with optical fiber measurements and troubleshooting (OTDR, OSA, power measurements, etc.) is highly desirable
- Excellent verbal communication and documentation skills
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others on a team
- Superior skills in Microsoft Office tools, including Access, Excel, and Visio
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments as well as high levels of organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to learn, and a positive can-do attitude
This position is located in Washington, DC. To apply, please submit your resume to email@example.com.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.