Clocktower Group is an asset management and investment advisory firm based in Santa Monica, CA with an office in Shanghai. We have developed a premier network of institutional investors, managers, and market thinkers focused on hedge fund and venture investing. We use our insight and perspective to actively collaborate with our clients in designing more effective investment portfolios. Our fast-growing business today includes a hedge fund seeding platform (with both global macro and China strategies), a hedge fund advisory service, and a fintech venture capital platform.
We are hiring a General Counsel to be a part of our collaborative team and lead all legal and compliance efforts in support of our firm. This person will help shape our business. After developing a deep understanding of each business unit’s priorities, opportunities and challenges you will identify areas to strengthen and grow our global business and take a proactive approach to supporting the firm’s objectives. The General Counsel will serve as a critical source of experience to advise senior executives on important decisions to add value to the firm and minimize risk.
What you’ll do:
Manage a Team. You will be responsible for a team of professionals to support your goals and ensuring the team continues to proactively evolve and expand in-line with the firm. You will have a budget for implementing tools and resources internally as well as managing and leveraging the firm’s relationships with external legal service providers.
Investment Execution. Drive the execution of hedge fund and venture deals both alongside team members and with the support of outside counsel. Develop, improve, and maintain playbooks and knowledgebases for strategic transactions. Support post-closing integration to build two-way knowledge transfers to support our investments and facilitate adherence to contractual obligations.
Fund Launches. Develop, document, launch and maintain private funds, working in close collaboration with the investment teams and IR and engaging with investors, fund managers, and external counsel directly in due diligence and negotiations.
Corporate Matters. Actively collaborate with other senior team members on sensitive firm matters involving employees or third parties including for example employment related issues, legal disputes, and corporate structure.
Compliance. Serve as the CCO, responsible for overseeing and improving the firm’s compliance program. Ensure the firm, its legal entities, and staff are in compliance with US and foreign regulatory responsibilities.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and in good standing with California or New York State Bar.
- 5-10+ years of experience as a practicing attorney within the investment management industry with at least 2 years in a leadership role.
- In-house legal experience at a venture capital, private equity or hedge fund firm is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of financial services regulations (SEC, NFA), private fund governing documents and private investment agreements.
- The ability to engage, inform and influence decisions at senior levels of the organization with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A proactive, thoughtful learner who’s confident in handling new projects and responsibilities and takes an ownership mentality in their work.
- Must maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion, maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- The firm is currently in a hybrid work environment with employees onsite 3 days per week in our Santa Monica office.
- We currently require that all personnel and visitors to our office are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (subject to any exemptions or accommodations per state and county guidelines).
What you’ll get:
- All the resources you’ll need to learn and grow.
- Independence to run with your ideas.
- Joining an elite team that works with some of the most sophisticated investors and entrepreneurs in the world.
- World-class benefits:
- Delicious, healthy lunches and snacks
- Fully paid, top-tier medical coverage and corporate wellness program
- Beautiful office space with amazing ocean views
Clocktower Group is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.