What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What we’re looking for
Civis Analytics is seeking a whip-smart, enthusiastic, and outgoing law student for a position where you will help enhance the legal presence and address a wide range of novel and complex legal and business issues in a fast-growing data analytics PaaS/SaaS technology and services company. We are looking for someone who will become an integral part of a fast-paced, collaborative, and fun team.
- You will work closely with Civis General Counsel on a variety of legal and business matters
- Assist with the design and implementation of a contract management system and legal processes to support a fast growing company
- Draft and review licensing agreements,technology and analytics services agreements, NDAs, and technology partnership contracts
- Provide commercial contracting support by researching issues on privacy, cybersecurity, compliance, and various U.S. and international laws
- Assist in coordinating with the company’s outside counsel
- Create templates and policies on issues including privacy and data security
- You’ll be a great fit for this opportunity if you describe yourself as a self-starter, someone who’s willing to develop their own workload, and someone who welcomes mentorship on projects.
- Good standing as a student at an ABA accredited law school
- A demonstrated interest in intellectual property, big data, data privacy and protection, and technology licensing
- Team player with a positive, collaborative attitude and your ego checked at the door
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Passion – We want you to be as excited as we are about Civis’ mission and coming in to work each day
- Desire to be challenged constantly and to rise to those challenges
- You’re not afraid to make mistakes, but you learn quickly from those mistakes
- Ability to interpret commercial contracts and a desire to improve in this area
- Prior work experience is a plus; non-legal work experience counts!
- Exceptional creative and critical thinking skills and an ability to adapt quickly on the fly
- Understanding that no job is too big or too small, and that every task has a purpose in developing the legal presence and benefiting the company
- Ability to thrive in an environment where you roll up your sleeves and own outcomes
- Must be able to work 20-30 hours a week
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- Remote internship opportunity
- Offering credit at an ABA accredited law school
- Weekly lunch & learns
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other’s differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.