Performs basic problem solving and support of the personal computer environment for Central Records and 911 Dispatch. This position requires the technician to triage priority of work based on the impact to public safety and continuity of Central Records’ business process.
Works under the supervision of the IT Technician II and will immediately inform the IT Technician II of any critical issues. Works under the broad supervision of the CRC Commander.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Supporting CRC end users with any technology issues.
Troubleshooting and repair of CRC computer systems.
Assist in troubleshooting and repair of CRC infrastructure.
Assist in maintaining all CRC information systems.
Assist in creating and disabling accounts for law enforcement systems in accordance to policy.
Assist with research and development and the implementation of new technologies.
Assist in project planning and execution.
Training of end users as needed for basic system usage.
Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Ten (10) college hours in the computer/electronics or related area; an equivalent combination of college hours, technical school and continuing education programs
- Five (5) years of Personal Computer support and repair
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft supported Windows PC Operating Systems
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft supported Office software
- Two (2) years on TCP/IP networks
- Two (2) years experience with SQL databases and report writing
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to learn new software and become proficient in system usage and administration within a reasonable time frame.
- Ability to critically think to identify issues and to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Usage of problem solving skills to find solutions.
- Effective communication skills to break down technical information for end users.
- Knowledge of basic fundamentals in electrical and electronic principles.
- Knowledge of basic fundamentals of coding and scripting.
- Knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Search engines, remote access tools, local and web based software control panels, basic office equipment, cellular phone apps for diagnosis of systems, basic hand tools, punch down tools, cable and network wiring termination tools, and basic IT test equipment.
Typically, this position requires working during normal business hours. The employee will occasionally work outside those hours, to include night and/or weekends.
Overtime may be mandated as necessary. The employee may be subject to occasional changes in shifts and days off.
The employee must be available for recall during off hours in the event of a major emergency.
The employee will occasionally be placed on call with notice and consideration to employee schedule.
The IT Tech I will be required to occasionally travel off-site throughout the local area. The employee must have a valid driver’s license from state of residence.
Must be able to pass a rigid background investigation, physical, and drug test.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl. The employee may be frequently required to lift and/or move moderate weight in excess of 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in this environment is moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.