Responsible for assisting the Branch Manager in the everyday functioning of the library. This includes personnel, public interaction, programming, facility management and administrative duties. Work is performed with latitude in the exercise of independent initiative and judgment in accordance with accepted professional practices and within the policies and directives by the Branch Manager. Supervision is exercised, directly or through subordinates, over all Branch library employees.
- Responsible for staff and volunteer supervision and training.
- Oversees collection development for both children’s and adults.
- Manages the reference and public service areas.
- Responsible for programming for children, young adults and adults (i.e. planning, preparation and implementation).
- Responsible for library/community development; attends community and attend library meetings.
- Oversees supervision of building and reporting facility problems.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of all areas of public library operations.
- Knowledge of long-range planning, implementing, and evaluating library services and programs, and planning and monitoring budgets.
- Knowledge of leadership, management and human resources principles.
- Knowledge of the planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating the goals and objectives, programs, policies, budgets and capital projects of a municipal library system.
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophy, objectives, principles, methods, and techniques of modern professional municipal library administration.
- Extensive knowledge of the formulation and administration of budgeting procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of the function, design, operation and maintenance of a municipal library system.
- Thorough knowledge of community needs and problems related to public libraries.
- Working knowledge of library technology.
- Ability to interpret and apply library policy.
- Ability to manage projects, particularly capital projects.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of an American Library Association accredited Master of Library Science.
- A minimum of three years of progressive professional library experience.