- Step 1 – High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent – $26.59/hour
- Step 2 – Associate Degree or 60 completed credit hours from an accredited university or college OR 4 years military service (honorable) OR Nevada POST Category I or III Peace Officer Certificate OR 4 years full time sworn Law Enforcement experience – $28.14/hour
- Step 3 – Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college – $29.54/hour
The Henderson Police Department announces the opening of applications for the position of Police Officer. Processing and testing of applicants will occur throughout the year on an ongoing basis.
The department is seeking dedicated people of character, courage, conscience, and compassion who are interested in a challenging and rewarding career of service to the citizens and community of Henderson. Be a part of HPD’s vision: Strength in Unity, Character in Actions, Excellence in Service.
The pool of candidates from this recruitment may be used to fill vacancies for the classification of Police Officer for up to one (1) year.
Under general supervision, performs law enforcement duties related to detecting, preventing, and investigating crime and maintaining law and order; and performs related duties as required.
Click here to view a complete copy of the job description and physical requirements.
Starting pay will be tiered, based on education and experience. Further information on the tiers can be found here.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver license. Upon hire, possess a Nevada or “border state” driver license under conditions defined by Nevada Revised Statute 483.035.
- Must be a U.S. citizen by the time of application.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of application.
- Must have no convictions for offenses greater than a misdemeanor. Must have no convictions for offenses of domestic violence.
- Visual acuity must be correctable to 20/40 in one eye and 20/30 in both eyes.
- Hearing must be 30 decibels or less for each ear.
- Must successfully complete the Henderson Police Department Academy within the time frame prescribed by the department.
- Must pass a nationwide fingerprint-based record check, and a wants/warrants check.
- Must complete Security Awareness and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Nevada Criminal Justice Information System (NCJIS) certification within six months of hire/transfer and be recertified every two years. Must maintain certifications in NCIC/NCJIS as a condition of continued employment.
Required Documents/Assessment Information
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
It is the Candidate’s responsibility to schedule and take the written exam with the National Testing Network (NTN) within 30 days of application submittal. Tests can be taken at ANY of the sites offered by NTN.
The Henderson Police Department offers full testing services for the position of Police Officer through National Testing Network, Inc. To schedule a test, go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select Law Enforcement and select the Henderson, Nevada Police Department. Examinations must be completed within 30 days of application.
For any questions regarding the online examination, please contact NTN directly at 1-855-821-3761.
More information on what to expect can be found at the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com website:
· Completion of the testing application process
· Detailed information about the written testing process
· Opportunity to take online practice tests at www.frontlinetest.com.
· Schedule your own convenient test time. Tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays, at multiple locations in many states.
·Take high quality job simulation tests in a standardized, fair testing environment.
HPD will contact candidates after scores are received and processed to inform them of their status in the process.
National Testing Network is a service provided to conduct entry level testing in a standardized, professional environment. National Testing Network does not replace the Henderson Police Department’s responsibility and decision making in the testing process. All candidate results are provided to the Department where the final decisions are made.
Candidates who pass all portions of the NTN Law Enforcement test with a score of 65% or higher in the Human Relations Video section, 70% or higher in the Writing section, and 70% or higher in the Reading section, will be eligible to continue in the selection process.
Oral Exam and Physical Fitness Test
The Preliminary Interview and Physical Fitness Test will be conducted on the same day with the interview taking place in the morning. Applicants who have passed the interview process will move on to the fitness test in the afternoon. Groups of applicants will be processed in this manner on an ongoing basis throughout the year. Applicants will be notified of a specific date for the Preliminary Interview when their application has been processed and selected for scheduling in the next assessment date. There are limited spaces on each interview and testing day and applicants will be invited based on earliest application date with valid passing scores from NTN.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson on-line application system. Please check your email on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department in writing, at COHHR@cityofhenderson.com to request such accommodation prior to any assessment.
IMPORTANT: Appointment is subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, polygraph examination, medical/physical examination, Psychological examination, drug and alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements of the job. As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.