The Youth Worker is responsible for supporting programmed activities for Teen Youth Center Members between the ages of 14 – 19. The Youth Worker will work with the Program Director, Youth Center Director, and Group Leaders to lead a diverse group of Teen Center Members through a number of programmed activities, service projects, civic engagement, and leadership development. The overall goals for the Youth Worker are to provide direct service and establish positive relationships with Teen Youth Center members. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Program Director and Group Leaders to oversee the implementation of policies and procedures at the Youth Center.
- Inform the Program Director and Group Leaders of specific Youth Center member needs or concerns that are brought to their attention.
- Assist in the planning, design, organizing, and implementation of age-appropriate Youth Center programs and activities for youth between the ages of 14 – 19.
- Provide a safe, structured, and stimulating environment for Youth Center members and volunteers.
- Attend and participate fully in staff meetings, planning sessions, other meetings, staff development and training programs and activities as directed.
- Be a positive role model to youth and develop meaningful relationships with Youth Center members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience working with youth in an academic, recreational, or athletic setting. Should have good leadership, organizational, and team building skills. HS Diploma/GED required. Familiarity with Cambridge neighborhoods preferred. The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
Main work environment is busy Youth Center. The noise level can be very loud. Youth Centers include classroom like settings, open environments, and gymnasium.
Must be able to lift fifty pounds and participate in activities that require physical exertion.
RATE: $18.00 per hour
HOURS OF WORK: 19.5 hours per week. Monday-Friday 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.