The Data Analytics and Open Data Program is a citywide effort to increase value and transparency of City of Cambridge municipal data. The program’s overall goals are to 1) build capacity for data analysis and data-driven decision-making in Cambridge, and 2) create meaningful opportunities for the public to help solve complex challenges by making municipal data more useable and accessible. The Data Intern helps maintain Cambridge’s open data portal, analyzes datasets, and uses data visualization to engage the public in Cambridge data.
- Maintain the Cambridge Socrata open data portal so that stakeholders are delivered the most recent data and program news. Develop and maintain content on the Open Data webpage.
- Use SQL database exports, manipulation, and automated procedures used to create and update data on the open data portal.
- Create data visualizations and dashboards that engage City staff and the public in the City’s open data resources.
- Review draft open datasets for accuracy and data quality.
- Suggest changes to make the open data portal more engaging or usable.
- Work with subject matter experts to properly document and contextualize open data.
- Assist with data analysis projects and other internal-facing data endeavors.
- Help coordinate trainings, workshops, and other events for internal and external stakeholders.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Enrolled in or completed bachelor’s degree program with major course work in IT, computer science, public policy, or statistics, or another quantitative discipline.
· Experience manipulating and analyzing data in Excel, R, or other data analysis tools.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and software quickly and independently.
- Ability to work with and communicate clearly with non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and identify alternate solutions.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of Socrata, R, Python, PowerBI, Tableau, GIS, or SQL a plus.
RATE: $20.00 per hour.
HOURS OF WORK: 15-19.5 hours per week, possibility of full time hours on a short term basis (less than 6 months).
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 10/28/21. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer