As part of the Community Development Department (CDD), the Cambridge Energy Alliance (CEA) helps Cambridge residents and businesses identify and pursue energy efficiency and clean energy opportunities to address climate change and lower their utility bills. Through outreach, education, and the development of new initiatives, CEA supports residents and small businesses in finding ways to implement energy efficiency upgrades and access clean energy, in line with the City’s Net Zero goals. CDD and CEA work closely with other City departments, program partners, local utility providers (Eversource), and environmental advocates in both the residential and commercial sector to achieve these goals.
Duties include but are not limited to assisting CEA’s efforts to support energy efficiency and clean energy programs in Cambridge, the Cambridge Energy Alliance Marketing/Outreach Intern will be responsible for coordinating with the Community Development Department’s Communication team and Cambridge Energy Alliance’s program partners around multiple, diverse project areas, including:
● Increase awareness of CEA’s programs by coordinating the development and dissemination of innovative outreach materials
● Promote CEA’s clean energy and energy efficiency programs (e.g., home energy assessments, clean heating/cooling, solar energy, etc.) through written content and graphic creation
● May design and adjust event materials, collateral, and giveaways for tabling and door-to-door canvassing
● Maintain CEA’s website and be responsible for updating the Warm Home Cool Planet community blog and other social media sites
● Prepare presentation materials and potentially attend or present at events with community organizations
● Assist with additional energy and climate related tasks, as assigned, including outreach events and evening webinars, if needed
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
● A passion for issues and ideas in the fields of climate change, environmental justice, clean energy, environment, and/or community engagement
● Experience in website development with WordPress and social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
● Some knowledge in creating marketing strategies inside or outside the classroom
● Excellent writing skills and comfort with creating content for public communications
● Experience with development of graphics and communication materials; knowledge of Canva and Adobe Creative Suite (Ai-Ps-Pr) would be an asset
● Prior experience and comfort working in Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides)
● Exceptional attention to detail, creativity, and independent task management
● Ability to remain flexible and thrive in an independent, fast-paced, and dynamic environment
● Prior experience with community-based outreach and engagement preferred
● The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Please note, City of Cambridge employees are fully working on-site. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level. Some outdoor events. Will have to engage with partners via Zoom.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Willingness to travel locally for work-related field work.
HOURS OF WORK: up to 19.5 hours per week. September 2021 start date with minimum commitment through January 2022, but a longer commitment, such as through May 2022, is ideal.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit your resume and cover letter, as well as a link to your portfolio if applicable via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Please specify your available start dates and desired duration of internship in your cover letter. Resume and cover letter requested by 10/19/21. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.