Deputy Director for Homeownership Programs, Job Requisition ID 2021-20921
City of Boston
Department of Neighborhood Development
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The mission of the Department of Neighborhood Development (DND) is to make Boston the most livable city in the nation by working with communities to build strong neighborhoods through the strategic investment of public resources. DND oversees programs that create and preserve affordable housing, support homeowners, provide housing and support services to homeless individuals and families, and dispose of city-owned property.
Reporting to the Director and Chief of Housing or her designee, the Deputy Director for Homeownership Programs is responsible for overseeing the management and operations of the Boston Home Center including homebuyer assistance, education programs, foreclosure prevention counseling, home repair activities, and other programs to support and maintain homeownership in Boston. To accomplish these efforts, the Deputy Director for Homeownership Programs oversees a staff of 35 employees, works closely with external stakeholders in the non-profit and financial services sectors, and regularly represents the Department in the community.
The position is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the nation’s leading community development agencies and provide innovative leadership during a time of dramatic change in housing and development policy at both the national and local levels. In particular, the Deputy Director will work with senior leaders across City government to lead the development of new homeownership policies which can ensure the affordability of housing in Boston in the decades to come.
Homebuyer and Education Programs
– Develop and implement programs to assist buyers to buy a home in Boston.
– Develop and implement programs to assist existing homeowners maintain and stay in their homes, including programs to assist homeowners with avoiding foreclosure.
Homeowners Service Programs
– Develop and implement programs to repair/rehabilitate owner-occupied housing.
– Provide lead paint abatement for housing units in Boston.
– Contract with outside agencies to administer Lead Paint, Senior Home Repair programs.
Advocacy, Leadership and Policy Making
– Oversee daily operations of the Boston Home Center division of DND managing complex homeownership programs, overseeing a divisional budget of $16 million, and providing leadership for 35 divisional staff members at both central and satellite offices.
– Interact with other city departments, state and local governmental entities, community development corporations; external stakeholders and program constituencies.
– Establish relationships with banks, mortgage companies, and non-profits to promote City programs and to develop and coordinate homeownership opportunities.
– Carry out special projects, initiatives and other duties related to the functions of the position.
– Performs related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications
Minimum of five (5) years demonstrated senior management experience.
– Master’s Degree in Community Planning, Development, Government, Public Policy, Business Administration or other related fields strongly preferred.
– Appropriate educational substitutions may be made
– Excellent negotiation, writing, presentation, organizational and supervisory skills.
– Excellent knowledge of homeowner and homebuyer issues including homeownership market conditions, mortgage products, and State and Federal homeownership and homebuyer assistance programs.
– Demonstrated knowledge of relevant financial analysis techniques including mortgage underwriting and home buying market conditions.
– Demonstrated ability to implement neighborhood development programs.
– Proven leadership experience at the local level with significant community planning and development experience.
– Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: Non-Union/NU-29
Hours Per Week: 35
Applicants interested in applying for this Deputy Director for Homeownership Programs position,
Job Requisition ID 2021-20921 can apply at this City of Boston Career Center website link here: