The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is the federal institute within the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that conducts research and makes recommendations for preventing work-related injuries, illnesses, and deaths. The NIOSH Division of Science Integration (DSI) uses a public health approach to develop and transfer information and provide recommendations to prevent occupational deaths, injuries, and diseases. DSI conducts research, synthesizes scientific information, creates policy, technical, and educational documents, and develops and disseminates targeted occupational safety and health information.
Preferred candidates should be trained in medicine, public health, epidemiology, environmental health, occupational health, scientific leadership, policy, or administration; and should have completed current peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations and/or patents. They should also have strong verbal and written communication skills.
The selected candidate will serve as the Division Director to over 100 full-time employees located in Cincinnati, OH and be responsible for managing, directing, overseeing, and evaluating all activities of the DSI. Critical functions include management, leadership, and oversight to supervisors, leaders, team chiefs, and contractors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research translation to evaluate the effectiveness of occupational safety and health program
- Identify occupational safety and health research needs, develop priorities to provide the basis for developing effective prevention strategies and for determining criteria for safety and health standards
- Represent the Division and/or Institute on various scientific and technical committees, working groups, and meetings
- Maintain close relationships with other Divisions/Offices/Laboratories of the Institute to assure research program plans and projects conform with the objectives, mission, and program initiatives of the Institute
- Provide leadership in advancing critical work in the field of workplace psycho-social issues
- Provide leadership for the NIOSH Nanotechnology Research Center, the Center for Productive Aging and Work, and the Center for Work and Fatigue Research
Who May Apply:
- U.S. Citizens
- Current federal employee must be at the GS-14 level or equivalent
- Eligible U.S. Public Health Service Officers at the O6 level may apply for consideration
- Have a Ph.D. , M.D., or other earned doctorate degree in one or more of the following: disease prevention, or related health sciences, public health, occupational health, epidemiology, or social or behavior science
- Experience must be in a health/scientific assignment but may also have management responsibility; have professional experience and stature that is commensurate with the duties of the position being filled
$133,160.00 – $275,000.00 per year
Occasional travel – 25% or less domestic travel may be required for this position
Travel, transportation, and moving expenses may be authorized: Yes
Position Sensitivity and Risk:
Special-Sensitive (SS)/High Risk
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete application package by 10/15/2021 to NIOSHJobs@cdc.gov:
§ Curriculum vitae/resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed
§ Cover Letter (less than 2 pages)
§ Unofficial Doctoral academic transcript is *required*
Failure to submit any of the required documents mentioned above will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. Please remove any PII (SSN, DOB) sensitive information before submitting your application.
Join Us, Apply Today!