The problem we’re focused on
The Federal Reserve estimates that nearly half of American families cannot pay for an unexpected $400 expense without borrowing or selling something. Small shocks derail financially fragile households; Pew finds that 30% of households experience at least one shock annually that causes sustained material hardship. Further, financial strain among workers exacts enormous costs on businesses through lower productivity and worker retention — the Financial Health Network estimates the bottom line cost to the employer at $7,000 per worker per year. These challenges are even more evident and pressing as the COVID-19 pandemic wreaks havoc on the financial health of workers across the country. We hypothesize that small cash grants, delivered in the right way, at the right time, can drive positive changes — for both workers and employers — that far outweigh their upfront costs.
Who we are and what we do
Canary (www.workwithcanary.com) is a mission-driven enterprise, contributing to the evolution of the 21st century social safety net to ensure that, in times of financial need, individuals can access emergency funds with dignity. Grant Circle is an emergency relief fund platform that delivers cash grants to individuals experiencing financial hardship in the workplace and beyond.
- Grant management & customer service: 75% of the role
- Evaluate hardship grant applications; communicate with employees and other applicants who request funds digitally and by phone; provide timely, appropriate, and high-quality support to help applicants who have sought a grant to address a financial hardship; ensure documentation is complete to comply with program requirements.
- Provide customer support in both English and Spanish, written (digitally) and, when desired by applicants, by phone.
- Learn the in’s and out’s of our emergency relief fund platform to provide high-quality support to end users.
- Help distill patterns and learnings from end-user communication and grant management to inform product improvements.
- Copy writing and other special projects: 25% of the role
- Help create and maintain Spanish language version of our Grant Circle product, translating English copy to Spanish, appropriate for Spanish-language speakers in the U.S.
- Test critical product flows prior to new product releases to ensure high product quality.
- Other special project may include: Testing new product features prior to launch to ensure they are working as expected and assisting with qualitative user research (example: note-taking during interviews with end-users).
- This is currently a part-time, contract role – up to 20 hours/week – with the potential to expand during times of peak demand and/or expand into a full-time role as Canary grows.
- Given the training investment and the significance of the role on our team, candidates should be able to commit to the role for at least 6-12 months.
- While scheduling of hours is somewhat flexible, the role does require reliable hours each weekday, with some evening and weekend time for grant management and customer service to ensure we respond to grant applicants in a timely manner.
- This is a U.S.-based remote role with the opportunity to engage in-person (post-COVID) if located in New York City, Chicago, or Seattle.
Our ideal candidate
We are looking for a candidate with the following characteristics and experience:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, with strong written and verbal communication skills and experience adapting language and communication style for populations with varying levels of proficiency
- Self-starter with excellent judgement about when to escalate (ask for help) and when to proceed independently
- Customer service experience highly preferred
- Mission- and impact-oriented
- Familiarity with the challenges facing underserved and financially stressed populations, and experience communicating with or serving an underserved group
- High degree of empathy and patience
- Experience in financial services or fintech is a plus
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a professional work environment
Send an email with the subject “Bilingual Grantmaker & Copywriter” to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- Why you are interested in this role
- A resume
- A writing sample
- Your desired hourly rate
- Your availability to start working with us