Are you a innovative environmental scientist looking to challenge yourself in an exciting and satisfying career cleaning up complex environmental contaminant sites? Are you interested in working in a fun team environment with diverse group of professionals? DTSC’s Legacy Landfills Office needs you!! We are looking for Senior Environmental Scientist to join this dynamic team.
The Senior Environmental Scientist serves as a project manager, technical advisor and oversees BKK Landfills essential site operations, more complex site investigations, removal actions, remedial actions, data management, project management, and activities related to cost recovery.
What You’ll Do
- Independently manage and provide oversight for engineering, more complex scientific and technical aspects of investigations, removal actions and remedial actions
- Oversee and review potential responsible parties (PRPs) BKK essential operations and site investigations
- Evaluate assessment of complex data and the results of these investigations and make recommendations for further actions
- Oversee the preparation of Removal Action Workplans, Remedial Action Plans, and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documents for public review and comment
- Provide technical support to staff assigned to data analysis, and to the design and implementation of any repair, modification, or improvements to the Site
- Independently manage and review non-technical aspects of investigation and remediation tasks including assessment and tracking of regulatory developments; the development, negotiation, and management of contracts, scopes of work, work orders, field orders, and change orders
- Oversee and monitor implementation of task orders, the management of contract budgets, and file management as necessary
- Conduct cost recovery activities for Legacy Landfills sites including the identification of responsible parties, reviews oversight billings, prepares total cost incurred packages, and conducts follow-up with responsible parties
What We Look For
- Possession of a bachelor’s or advanced degree with a major in a biological, chemical, physical, or environmental science, soil science, water science, hydrology, agronomy, natural resource science, environmental or public health, physical geography, or a closely related scientific discipline
- Experience: Two years of experience in the California state civil service performing the duties of an Environmental Scientist, Range C.
- Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience as a scientist in environmental analysis, research, management, planning, regulation, or investigation, two years of which have included responsibility in the development or implementation of environmental policies, programs, plans, or research projects.