Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan, and to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking a Senior Research Associate with a strong background in understanding metabolism and lipid biochemistry to join Calico’s metabolomics group and work collaboratively on a number of projects in an effort to understand aging and aging-related disease.
In this role your primary responsibility will be to collaboratively design experiments, use mass spectrometry (including sample preparation and data analysis) as a means of measuring metabolites and lipids, and place that data into a useful biological context. To succeed, you will need to be exacting and precise in your work, and comfortable working on challenging, complex problems. You will participate in both the generation of both large- and small-scale metabolomics-related research projects.
- BS plus 4 years work experience, MS plus 2 years work experience, or a PhD in in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related field
- The ability to use and maintain LC-MS instrumentation, and interpret the data you generate
- A strong understanding of the biology of cellular metabolism and/or lipid biochemistry
- Strong scientific skills: hypothesis generation, experiment planning, and data analysis
- Incredible attention to detail, with a focus on generating the highest quality data
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
Other desirable qualifications:
- Experience with LC/MS method development
- Experience analyzing complex biological samples via mass spectrometry
- Experience using stable isotope labeling to investigate metabolic fluxes
- The ability to code for data analysis in Python or R