Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking to fill a Research Associate position in our Genomics Core Lab. The successful candidate will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, assisting Calico’s scientists with execution of their basic aging research experiments by providing sequencing expertise and service. The well-qualified candidate has a solid grasp of molecular biology and hands on experience with cutting edge Genomics technology.
- BS degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related discipline (PhD not expected) with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Preparation of DNA/RNA libraries or other cloning experience
- Operation of laboratory robotics (Agilent Bravo, Tecan, Hamilton, Beckman, Echo, etc.)
- Experience with nucleic acid sample quantitation methods (Fragment Analyzer, Qubit, qPCR etc.)
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to work as part of a high-performing team
- Flexible, being able to respond quickly to shifting priorities and handle projects simultaneously
- Detail-oriented and organized
Nice to have:
- Working knowledge of library prep and sequencing instrumentation (Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, or other platforms)
- Hands-on experience with DNA and RNA extraction from cells and tissue
- Familiarity with single cell sequencing approaches
- Knowledge of basic statistics and genomic data analysis tools