Facade engineering and designing a high-quality building ‘skin’ is far more than simply achieving an aesthetic vision, it’s about constructability, performance, efficiency and long term sustainability.
What makes a facade function properly? Apart from the obvious, like weather resistance, airtightness and making sure it doesn’t fall off the building, a big consideration is the energy impact on the building itself. An efficient, buildable facade makes for a better building and we work constantly to increase the performance of building skins.
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched. This role offers you the opportunity to:
· Carry out structural, thermal and energy modeling of building enclosure details and systems
· Utilize advanced analysis programs and techniques to understand building envelope physics and façade design
· Undertake engineering façade calculations with various materials, including structural glass, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, stone and precast concrete
· Produce details and drawings using various 2D and 3D CAD and graphics software packages
· Perform technical reviews of shop drawings and construction administration submittals to ensure air, water, thermal, seismic, acoustic and structural performance
· Deliver work in a timely and technically competent manner
· Increase your awareness of basic weather performance issues, basic building physics including ventilation, solar gain control, thermal insulation and glare control
· Develop your experience of the practical aspects of handling and fabricating typical cladding materials
· Hone your understanding of international standards and building codes
· Work with other teams and gain an awareness of the problems and constraints of the other major design disciplines such as Architectural, Structures, Building Services/MEP, Sustainability and Analytics
· Develop strong design leadership on façade issues to the rest of the Client’s design team
· Maintain good client relations throughout the job
· Improve your competency across various software such as Autodesk Revit, Robot, STAAD, Strand, SAP2000, MEPLA, Rhinoceros, Grasshopper and Therm
We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation. In return we ask you to bring the following:
· Currently pursuing a degree in Architectural Engineering or a related science discipline
· Coursework in façade engineering, building envelope physics, and/or thermal modeling skills beneficial
· AutoCad or 3D modeling skills (Rhino, SketchUp, etc) preferred
· Interest in the façade industry with emphasis on detailing and engineering
· Good sketching skills
· Interest in the built environment
· Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible manner
· Eagerness to learn and work as part of a multidisciplinary team
· At Buro Happold, you’ll work with some of the brightest minds in the industry, contributing to unique and innovative projects that inspire awe, transform communities and help to combat climate change
· Our strength is in our diversity, and you’ll join a team that thrives on openness, respect and collaboration. Your expertise will be recognized, your opinion valued, and your passions supported. You will be challenged, and you’ll also be enabled to deliver your best, boldest and most creative work
· Pioneer ideas and showcase industry-leading consulting expertise to prominent clients and collaborators.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
Please apply online to be considered for this role. We are looking forward to your application!