This is a federal work-study position, open to students who have federal work-study eligibility. If you are unsure if you are eligible, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brief Introduction to Organization and Mission
The Bronx Cooperative Development Initiative (BCDI) is a community-led planning and
economic development organization. We are growing a network of community and labor
organizations, anchor institutions, and small businesses to harness local assets, cultivating
shared analysis and strategy, and implementing democratic and shared ownership in order
to address generational wealth extraction from people of color in the Bronx and forge a path
for Black liberation.
The intern will be working with the Planning and Policy Lab (PPL), a project of BCDI. The
PPL provides local planning capacity by, with, and for the Bronx. We provide partners with
research, land use and data analysis and collaborate with community stakeholders in
participatory planning, strategy development, and capacity building.
Overview of Internship
BCDI and partners recently launched a Bronx-wide planning process in the spring to
co-create an economic development plan for the borough to build racial justice and
economic democracy. This fall, we are continuing community engagement activities to
ensure Bronx residents are at the center of shaping the plan’s priorities, and also advancing
a set of sectoral research projects in parallel.
The intern will support the synthesis of the input gathered from community members across
meetings, surveys and more. Additionally, the intern will conduct research focused on one
of the key sectors that is critical to the Bronx’s economy: healthcare. The intern will
specifically focus on the changing landscape of employment in the healthcare sector locally,
how to best position Bronxites for those jobs, and implications for building shared wealth.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Documentation and synthesis of concerns, challenges, and solutions from community members and key stakeholder groups across data gathering events, surveys, and more
- Ongoing research, analysis, and mapping to build on input from local stakeholders and to contribute to components of the Bronx-wide plan document
- Sectoral research project focused on analyzing the healthcare sector in the Bronx, and the future of employment in this sector
Skills, Qualifications, and other Requirements
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail
- Excellent writing, synthesis, and research skills
- Mapping and data analysis skills (experience with mapping platforms like QGIS, and Excel)
- Familiarity or interest in urban planning, economic development, community organizing, community engagement
- Familiarity or interest in the healthcare sector or community health
$18.00 / hour