At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Senior Research Investigator, QSP
The scientist in this role will work in the solid tumor Immuno-Oncology Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (I-O QSP) group to further develop established disease-level QSP models and apply them to aid in target prioritization, therapeutic modality selection, chemical/biotherapeutic optimization, biomarker characterization, combination therapy assessment, and clinical trial design. QSP modeling has become an important component of clinical development which builds on mechanistic, mathematical models, based on integration of non-clinical/clinical knowledge and data to represent disease pathophysiology and multi-drug pharmacology.
- Provide leadership to and collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams to develop and apply QSP models
- Proficient in the development and application of QSP models to address drug-discovery and development questions
- Partner with external groups to accelerate the internal Systems Pharmacology efforts in key disease areas
- Provide expert support to project teams to design, execute and interpret clinical studies with supervision
- With some supervision, collaborate with stakeholders to identify and interpret experiments critical for model development and refinement
- Leverage existing virtual population workflows and script-based analysis packages with supervision
- With some supervision, network with stakeholders in R&ED to facilitate model development and application
- With some supervision, align QSP model deliverables with the clinical pharmacology and clinical development plans
- Stay informed with emerging literature and science in the systems biology/pharmacology modeling and simulation sciences
- Build and maintain a personal track record of publication in the area of QSP
- Maintain an active relationship with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics at the project level as well as in the advancement of Pharmacometrics
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Pharmacometrics, Systems Biology/Pharmacology or a related field
- M.S. in appropriate field with significantly more experience may be considered
- In addition to the Ph.D., 2+ years of pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting industry experience in mathematical modeling & computer simulation for Sr. Research Investigator level. Post-doctoral experience may be considered depending on the totality of prior experience. Candidates with less education and experience may be considered for a lower starting level commensurate with education and experience
- Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation. Knowledge of process control theory would be beneficial
- Good understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop QSP models
- Ability to communicate internally and externally on topics related to CP&P and QSP is required
- Ability to keep up to date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of Systems Pharmacology/Biology
- Hands-on experience with modeling software like MATLAB/SimBiology/Simulink, JDesigner/Systems Biology Workbench, Entelos PhysioLab Platform, DBSolve, etc. Experience with MATLAB SimBiology would be particularly desirable
- Experience with general programming and data analysis tools/languages such as MATLAB, Python, R, Julia, Spotfire, etc., is required
- Desire to interact as a modeling and simulation expert across clinical development teams with experts from different functional areas (pre-clinical and clinical)
- Knowledge of current practices and issues in pharmaceutical R&D in disciplines such as clinical pharmacology, bioanalytical, biopharmaceutics, and toxicology
- Knowledge of immunology, especially as relevant for immuno-oncology pathways of interest, is a plus
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.
Click the link below to apply