Are you passionate about putting your skills toward improving healthcare?
Are you looking to make a positive difference in the lives of patients and their families?
Do you want to be part of a dynamic and energetic team working alongside executive leadership to shape the future of Brigham Health and Mass General Brigham?
Join our team of internal consultants and project managers that care deeply about solving meaningful problems that measurably impact our strategic direction.
- Coordinate the implementation of a broad range of strategic and operational initiatives
- Work directly with the hospital executive leadership to support the execution of their prioritized initiatives
- Deliver project management support including project scoping, development and documentation of plans and timelines, and communicating progress towards goals to various audiences
- Work in partnership with workgroups, steering committees, and clinical and administrative leaders to develop solutions and move key initiatives forward
- Report to the Director or Manager of Strategy Implementation within the Department of Analytics, Planning, Strategy, and Improvement (APSI)
- Work in a hybrid model, with some days working from home and some days working at the hospital as needed
- Able to perform with a high level of independence and good judgment
- Skilled at researching, analyzing and synthesizing information as well as learning and applying new content
- Adept at planning and prioritizing project team work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals in a complex environment
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- An effective verbal and written communicator
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at developing solutions to overcome obstacles
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Project Management
- Accurately scopes and plans projects and task forces influenced and overseen by clinical and administrative leadership as assigned
- Meet expectations related to the identification of key stakeholders, research of relevant issues, collection and synthesis of relevant data, formal project management, staffing and facilitating of committees and work groups, preparation of work plans and communication summaries, and tracking of project status and measures of success
- Utilize standardized approaches, tools, and technology for internal consultancy
2. Operational Change and Strategy Implementation
- Provide the following analytic and project evaluations:
- Regularly distribute and present key data and strategies highlighting the progress of a project
- Analyzing operational data to evaluate performance and identify opportunities
- Evaluating how changes may impact the organization’s operations and awareness of implications on a variety of teams. Supports operational improvement initiatives within the scope of assignment, in partnership with clinical and administrative leadership as appropriate. Goals for this work will often relate to improvement in operational efficiency, asset utilization, capacity management, quality and safety
3. Communication Activities
- Prepare concise, creative, professional summaries of plans, as appropriate
- Effectively present findings to all levels of staff, targeting the presentation towards the knowledge level and needs of the audience, including: internal senior management, clinicians, and front-line staff
- Work to ensure smooth information flow between involved parties
- Develop summary communication materials for executive level presentations, as requested
- Encourages and engages others in discussion to build trust among team members by communicating ‘early and often’
4. Advance Alignment and Collaboration
- Utilize rigorous project management tools to engage teams to participate in projects
- Utilize strong coping and perceptivity skills in identifying the appropriate pace of change as well as awareness of stakeholder needs, and incorporate that into planning and execution of initiatives
- Proactively consider and evaluate complexities of projects
5. Learn and Apply New Skills and Knowledge to Advance Initiatives
- Approach the work with curiosity and purpose of adopting adequate skill and content to advance projects and remove barriers to progress
- Apply rigor in analyzing problems, scope, effort, performance
- Be the “go to” person for the project, and in coordination with subject matter experts and leaders
- Lead projects forward with a spirit of progress and by example, establishing self as a critical role in progress
Success in this role is judged based on the quality of facilitation and support provided in the following areas:
- Consistent, coordinated and thorough project management
- Design, implementation and periodic progress updates
- High quality presentations
- Design and execution of planning activities and decision-making required to implement key priorities
- Learning and applying adequate content expertise and skill related to the initiative to move projects forward
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MHA or MPH preferred
- Experience working as a consultant or project manager, ideally in healthcare:
- Consultant role: At least 3 years progressive work experience
- Senior Consultant role: At least 5 years progressive work experience
- Experience working in a hospital and/or similar academic medical center environment preferred
- Exceptional judgment and discretion in interacting with senior management, clinicians, and clinical leaders on sensitive political and confidential issues
We are seeking to fill two positions, each supporting priority initiatives in different areas and departments:
- Department of Newborn Medicine (with focus on NICU)
- Critical Response Operations (CRO) which currently supports COVID response operational changes
- Emergency Department (ED)
- Patient Access Center
Skills / Abilities / Competencies:
Exact expectations around the following skill set will be defined with the Director to whom the Senior Consultant will report and then refined over the course of time as the Senior Consultant develops and advances in this role:
- Analytical and Technical
- Organization and Planning/Commitment to Task
- Communication Skills
- Coping and Perceptivity
- Organizational Development
The following levels of competency and skill are required immediately:
- Skilled at project management.
- Skilled at project scoping, action planning, execution, and development of monitoring tools.
- Superior organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to independently research complex issues and to succinctly synthesize and articulate findings for various audiences.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with senior management
- Individual must be assertive, and goal oriented with experience facilitating and staffing projects that involve multidisciplinary team members.
- Handles issues that are significant, complex, multidisciplinary, sensitive, political, and confidential.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and resolve problems.