Brigham & Women’s Hospital, an affiliate of Mass General Brigham, is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community. We place great value on being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization as we aim to reflect the diversity of the patients we serve. At Mass General Brigham, we believe in equal access to quality care, employment and advancement opportunities encompassing the full spectrum of human diversity: race, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other forms of human presence and expression that make us better able to provide innovative and cutting-edge healthcare and research
This position supports the communication needs of BWH Research Administration as well as the mission of the Brigham Research Institute (BRI) to synergize, facilitate and enable research activities in the hospital setting; provide a clear voice and a strong identity for the research community; and communicate new funding opportunities to sustain the research enterprise. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing, presenting and implementing communication strategies and concepts for BWH Research Administration, the BRI, the larger BWH community, and patients of BWH.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports to BRI Executive Director and BWH Vice President for Research Operations working in partnership to coordinate communications across all groups within the research community.
- In partnership with the Office of Strategic Communication, develops, presents and implements communication strategies and concepts for (1) the BWH research community, (2) the larger BWH community, and (3) patients of BWH. Respectively, the overall messages will inspire scientific collaborations, inform BWH of various research initiatives, and introduce patients to the transformative research that makes BWH unique
- Drafts, edits, researches topics for, and manages distribution of email messages the research community at BWH; specifically overseeing the distribution of the Research Connection and Friday Funding emails as well as other targeted emails, such as Science Spotlight.
- Writes short blurbs, newsletters, various event descriptions, brief articles and other content as needed for print and web.
- Manages, researches topics for, locates and secures presenters for the BRI Research Connection LIVE lunch, a monthly venue for researchers. May help prepare, draft, and suggest content for the BRI Executive Director (who acts as forum M.C.). Works with BRI program coordinator on event logistics.
- Manages, creates, edits, researches, and updates content for BWH Research webpages, Brigham Research Institute website, and the new (2021) Research, Discovery and Innovation website. This includes news announcements, organization charts, forms, surveys that appropriately portray research at BWH and leverage information from other departments/entities, including Office of Strategic Communication (OSC), BRI, iHub, Ignite Innovation, Brigham Research Education (BRE), BCRISP, Research Operations, and the Office for Research Careers (ORC). Will coordinate with BRI Web Media Manager and Creative Designer on this and other topics that encourage use of various social media.
- Builds strong relationships with the Office for Strategic Communication and Development, taking an integrated approach to the internal and external messaging.
- Develops, edits, and creates collateral for marketing materials such as brochures, annual reports, etc. Works with outside vendors and develops budgets as necessary to accomplish such.
- Serves as initial contact for incoming communication to BWH Research; BWH Research Helpline and BWHBRI@partners.org; responds to and/or triages all inquiries to appropriate entities/departments.
- Work with BRI Executive Director, Vice President of Research Operations, and the Office of Strategic Communication to develop a larger marketing/communications strategy for Brigham Research.
- Performs other duties, as requested.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or related area
- Prior experience in a Communications Specialist role or Science Writer role and in an Academic Medical Center or similar environment is preferred.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Proficiency with personal computers and working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required. Knowledge of graphic design and email list-serve programs is helpful.
- Must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and draft accurate content quickly. Science writing experience preferred. The ability to effectively communicate scientific ideas in laypeople’s terms is essential.
- Interest in visual/creative communication helpful
- Experience with content management systems, content organization and digital publishing preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills are expected with attention to detail and demonstrated ability in managing multiple projects simultaneously while working effectively under the pressure of last minute deadlines and changing priorities. Must have ability to manage editorial calendar.
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact efficiently and effectively with colleagues.
- Must be able to take initiative and function effectively, both independently and as a member of a team, with a willingness to assist with routine and last minute projects.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion in handling sensitive political and confidential issues is required.
- Must be able to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of latitude with creativity is expected.