Breakout Mentors is looking for part-time Machine Learning (ML) tutors to teach and inspire impressive high school students interested in data science and ML. The position is remote, meeting students over video conference.
The Breakout Mentors Machine Learning Story
At Breakout Mentors, we’re reimagining ML education to make it accessible and inclusive to high school students from a wide range of backgrounds. Students in our ML Academy learn how to solve real-world problems using modern data science tools and ML algorithms starting on day one. We adopt a philosophy of teaching the “whole game” and integrate “just-in-time” teaching/learning. Meaning, we get our students to play with actual code instead of boring them with equations and complexities first. We have a structured introductory curriculum to get students started, then help them pick up the rest by working 1-on-1 on real-world ML projects that interest them.
The Breakout Mentors Machine Learning team is responsible for teaching our ML Deep Dive curriculum to extraordinary high school students and guiding them on ML projects. As an ML mentor, you will be responsible for mentoring 2 or more carefully selected ML students throughout the school year during weekly 1-on-1 90-minute video conference sessions. The position is paid ($30-$33 / hour) and fully remote with flexible hours. ML mentors get to set their own hours with their students. We only require our mentors to commit to being available for a minimum of 3 hours/week for holding sessions.
Who are you
- Passionate about empowering others to learn ML.
- Have a solid conceptual understanding of supervised ML and are comfortable with at least two deep learning architectures (MLP, CNN, RNN/LSTM, GAN, Transformers).
- Hands-on experience with Python for data science (e.g., data manipulation via Pandas and/or Numpy, data visualization via matplotlib or similar) and at least one deep learning framework (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow/Keras, JAX, FastAI, Gluon, MXNet, Theano, etc…).
- Eager to apply ML algorithms to solve real-world problems.
- Effective communicator.
- A positive attitude.
Why you should apply
- Make a significant impact on the lives of several high school students.
- Sharpen your ML skills and build real-world ML projects while getting paid.
- Networking opportunities with industry ML professionals.
- Join a team passionate about education, diversity, and inclusion in ML.
If you are interested in learning more, please send an email to email@example.com with your resume.
Breakout Mentors is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that’s all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don’t tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.