Transportation Experienced First Line Supervisor (EFLS) 2022
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: System Wide
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also through our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
The Experienced First Line Supervisor program is specifically designed to develop leaders that will drive the future of our organization. This position is a leadership role at BNSF Railway. These individuals lead a diverse workgroup to safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments and goals that are in line with the company’s vision.
WORK LOCATION: Transportation Experienced First Line Supervisors (EFLS) are placed in a training location for their first six months of employment. Following completion of the training program, EFLS are placed in an open position across the BNSF network. The placement location will be based on business need.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: February 28, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $77,700
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- An ideal candidate should be very flexible regarding location. Work/Training assignment could place an EFLS anywhere on BNSF’s operating system (see System Map at www.bnsf.com).
- EFLS are placed in a training location for their first six months of employment. Following completion of the training program, EFLS are placed in an open position across the BNSF network. The placement location will be based on business need.
- We offer a fast-paced, intensive six-month training program that begins with a two-week comprehensive orientation at BNSF Corporate Headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas. Following orientation, EFLS new hires will complete several additional weeks at the BNSF Technical Training Center (TTC) in Overland Park, Kansas, their field Headquarter location, and at the Network Operations Center in Fort Worth.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
** This is a Trainee position. Following training of approximately six (6) months, this position will lead to the position of Trainmaster. In order to progress to positions of greater responsibility, additional relocation may be required. **
- Supervise train operations in a designated territory
- Ensure compliance with all applicable rules, regulations and policies
- Supervise train, yard and engine employees in a union environment
- Perform multiple safety briefings throughout the shift
- Lead crew discussions about Safety, relay information about safely servicing customer plants and facilities and ways to minimize risk.
- Plan the movement of cars, inventory, locomotive, crews, and trains within a designated terminal and across an Operational division/territory.
- Coordinate the arrival and departure of trains at an operational yard or terminal.
- Assign and coordinate daily schedules for personnel
- Provide customers with safe, efficient, and economical service
- Execute divisional plans, monitor and manage costs
- Conduct operational tests, implement safety programs
- Interface and coordinate with other operating departments, including engineering and mechanical, and work groups to include dispatchers and yardmasters, to execute the operations plan
- Interact with customers by providing accurate and timely information regarding their shipments to and from customer facilities/plants on a daily basis
At the conclusion of the training program, EFLS will be promoted to the role of Terminal Trainmaster
Duties/Responsibilities for a Terminal Trainmaster:
- Assist in implementing policy and the execution of the operating plan.
- Supervise Transportation (TY&E) employees and plan daily train and switching operations consistent with safety and efficiency.
- Conduct operations tests and safety meetings. investigate accidents and injuries.
- Monitor and control costs to meet goals.
- Ensure compliance with BNSF’s equal employment policies, safety and operating rules, schedule agreements, and government regulations.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- Work in shifts (can be 12+ hours) in a field based environment
- Work in a 24 by 7 operations environment including nights, weekends, evenings and holidays, on-call or available for emergency situations
- Work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Work around heavy and moving machinery
- Environment requires personal protective equipment, hard hat, safety glasses, and gloves. These materials will be provided by BNSF
- At least 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Authorized to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future
- Willing and able to submit to a pre-employment drug (hair follicle) test
- Willing to be subject to an Employment, Criminal and Driving Background review
- At least 3 years of work experience supervising 5 or more employees in a fast-paced, operations and/or logistics environment or 2 years or more of military experience
- Able and willing to relocate within the BNSF Railway operating system (western 28 states) upon hire
- Ability to relocate within the BNSF Railway operating system upon career progression and/or as business needs
- Able to work a minimum of 50 hours per week or more as business need requires
- Able to work varied shifts, holidays, nights and weekends
- Able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Able to walk on uneven terrain
- Able to visually distinguish among red, blue, yellow and lunar (clear light) and able to see at night
- Able to hear and, with training, distinguish auditory signals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Managing schedules, maintain files, create charts, reports, graphics and spreadsheets
- Able to travel approximately 20%
- Valid Driver’s License
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Operations, Logistics, Business Administration, Management, or related discipline
- Five (5) years of work or military experience supervising 15 or more employees in a fast-paced Business Management, Operations and/or Logistics environment
- Experience supervising a unionized workforce
- Relocation benefits may be provided for this position
- Up to 20%
Applicants must be willing to relocate.
Transitioning veterans must be either on terminal leave or 100% separated by the EFLS start date; National Guard / Reservists may apply at any time.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required
to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.