Engineering Signal Management Trainee 2022
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: Kansas City, KS, US, 66106
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also through our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
• be treated with dignity and respect.
• have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
• have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
The Management Trainee (MT) Program is specifically designed to develop leaders that will drive the future of our organization. This program begins with a two-week orientation at our corporate headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas. During this time, MTs receive a company overview, interact with company leaders, and develop skills for a successful career. Additional training will vary by department. With hard work, the desire to learn, and the ability to develop relationships, career opportunities are endless.
The Operations Management Trainee position is a leadership role at BNSF Railway. These individuals lead a diverse workgroup to safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments and goals that are in line with the company’s vision.
Relocation assistance may be provided to those who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
WORK LOCATION: Lenexa, KS or San Bernardino, CA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: January, June or July 2022
SALARY RANGE: $72,000
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail daily.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
RELOCATION WILL BE REQUIRED:
- A candidate must be willing to be relocated to Kansas City, KS or Lenexa, KS for the training program
- Once training has been completed, candidates will likely be relocated to an assigned, permanent location
- Please refer to BNSF’s operating system at www.bnsf.com (see System Map)
- An ideal candidate should be very flexible regarding location
- Relocation assistance may be provided to those who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence
THE MANAGEMENT TRAINEE PROGRAM BEGINS WITH A FAST-PACED, INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES:
- Training lasts approximately 12 months
- Two (2) week orientation conducted at our company headquarters in Fort Worth, TX
- Two (2) week technical (e.g. rules, safety) and personnel training conducted at our Technical Training Center (TTC) in Overland Park, KS
- Associated on-the-job field training conducted at assigned location
- 4 weeks of Signal Apprenticeship training
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The training program will include:
- Orientation into safety certification, warranty procedures, Best Way, Condition Based Maintenance, Bad Actor Program, Contract Maintenance and Foreign Billing, Audit Procedures and railroad computer applications.
- Technical Training both in the field and at the Technical Training Center (TCC) in Overland Park, KS. Develop railroad knowledge to understand operations focused on engineering department, including interacting with other operations departments.
UPON COMPLETION OF TRAINING, SIGNAL MANAGEMENT TRAINEES MAY BE PLACED IN THE FOLLOWING TEAM AS A SUPERVISOR TO BNSF EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, OR CONSULTANTS:
SIGNAL SUPERVISOR INFORMATION & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the activities of signal gangs engaged in construction projects.
- Train and schedule employees, ensuring the quality, timeliness and quality of construction work. Coordinate material purchased from outside vendors (vehicles, electronic equipment and other material). Coordinate services obtained from outside concerns (equipment repairs and accommodations to ensure continuous work flow).
- Ensure proper installation of signal systems.
- Review projects with utilities and state highway departments. Investigate the use of alternative construction methods and equipment.
- Promptly update engineering personnel with all circuit plan changes and material requirements.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Work in a 24 x 7 operations environment including nights, weekends, evenings and holidays, on-call or available for emergency situations.
- Work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet). Work around heavy and moving machinery.
- Work around electronics, including electric currents. Work in and around bridges in elevated locations.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Schedule involves nights, weekends, and holidays, as BNSF is a 24 X 7 work environment.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- I have a 2.70 or higher cumulative GPA in an Engineering or Construction Management program OR a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA with a non-Engineering degree.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in Construction Management or an Engineering program from accredited university to be completed prior to hire OR have obtained a degree within the past three (3) years.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to relocate within the BNSF Railway operating system to start and/or upon career progression and/or business need.
- Valid Driver’s License.
ADDITIONALLY, QUALIFIED CANDIDATES MUST BE ABLE TO:
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or Construction Management, or a related discipline.
- Experience working in an engineering or construction related environment.
- Experience working outdoors or in an industrial environment.
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication.
Our Management Trainee program is geared towards recent college graduates with three years or less of experience in a post-collegiate professional work environment. If you have more experience and are interested in BNSF, we encourage you to look at our Experienced First Line Supervisor (EFLS) program or our professional jobs to find what most closely aligns with your experience and skill set.
- Relocation benefits may be provided for this position.
- Frequent and extensive travel over a large geographic region will be required.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.