We are seeking students who are eager to learn, self-motivated and comfortable working independently. This internship will make an impact! You will support and assist with real-life projects for departments within the organization, including Corporate Accounting, Property Accounting, Margin Accounting, Accouting Research and Financial Reporting. These projects are crafted to improve your communication and teamwork skills by collaborating with individuals across many functions in our organization. Working alongside professionals in the field, you will gain in-depth knowledge about the energy industry and chosen field of expertise. You will apply what you have learned in school to impactful projects within a publicly traded, multi-state utility energy company. Learn more about our internship program here: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/students
PAY: $17.00 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
- Additional benefits include meaningful work, relocation benefits, intern week experience, casual dress code, plus you’ll earn 401k contributions during your internship.
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
- To learn more about our company, visit our internship page and locations page on our career website.
- Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
- College junior or above working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. If you are a recent graduate, you must be within 1 year of your graduation date.
- No experience required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the Company and to improve the image of the organization.
- Provide support to other departments as scheduled by the manager or other management staff.
- Prepare reports for other areas of the organization. Ensure that information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable manner. Respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Assist with journal entries, account reconciliations, reports and accounting close.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Compile and analyze data and document project progress or outcome.
- Validate and distribute financial information as requested.
- Accurately and timely respond to inquiries.
- Keep project lead informed on the status of work.
- Present ideas for improving efficiency of duties.
- Support and assist the Finance/Accounting Manager and other staff in meeting deadlines and goals.
- Basic knowledge of business and accounting procedures and methods.
- Basic knowledge of automated accounting and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of basic to average difficulty.
- Ability to collect, analyze, model and interpret information to evaluate accuracy of expected results.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental descriptions: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee may occasionally. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. No travel is required for this role.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.