Rolling Start and End Dates; Remote Work-from-Home Position; Full-time and Part-time Options; Unpaid Internship for Training, Practical Experience, and Process Improvement. Apply now for start-dates at any time of year.
About Us: Gain real, professional training with one or more internship experiences at Bashpole Software, Inc. We create technology to change the world by helping non-profits gain online visibility at a scale hitherto impossible, namely our upcoming PromoterMotor.com software. It will automate what we have done for years by hand: help nonprofits get and make maximal use of free advertising from Google. We help all eligible causes and have a special interest in countering misinformation. Apply your creativity and drive for learning experiences with us in departments such as Marketing, Digital Media, Business, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Technical Writing, and Human Resources. Check our Careers Page to see all open positions and testimonials from past interns: bashpolesoftware.com/careers
Project-based Learning: Each year, we share presentations, brochures, and other marketing materials with thousands of nonprofit leaders through partnerships we have with groups like CrimeStoppers of America and the Association for Fundraising Professionals. This position offers you a chance to practice your graphic design knowledge in a professional setting. You’ll receive feedback from a design, but primarily a business, perspective. Projects may include internal documents, reports we make for our customers, spreadsheets we use for our staff and interns, presentations we give to business partners, and more. Sometimes, we publish articles for the general public, and we frequently write proposals for research and development funding that need graphics or infographics. We are also writing a book for the Rules of Thumb training mentioned in our internship descriptions that will utilize a variety of designs. There are many possible graphic design projects here.
Training and Responsibilities May Include But Will Not Be Limited To:
- Create infographics, presentations, web page designs, and other marketing materials that promote Bashpole Software and its clients for a wide audience
- Get experience with software that supports graphic design and digital presentation
- Create general advice and guidance for nonprofits on how to improve their marketing, such as improving fundraising campaigns
- Participate in a remote-work environment, learning how to manage a diverse workforce
- Build a strong connections with other interns and staff people through networking meetings while remaining socially distanced
- Attend regular meetings to prevent isolation and facilitate collaboration
Note: This is by no means an exhaustive list but it gives an indication of the many projects taking place. You might focus on some of these to the exclusion of others. Tasks will change according to business needs.
Resume Accomplishments: After completing this internship, here are the top accomplishments that you may be able to add to your resume:
- Created many designs featured in my portfolio
- Collaborated with Bashpole’s customers to see my designs in use
- Provided guidance to organizations and other interns about design
- Learned design best practices
- Refined visual communication to be more persuasive
- Participated in and expanded the training procedures that will benefit future interns
- Artistic and Creative: Brainstorming design concepts and using design software applications to create captivating flyers, presentations, web pages, and other marketing materials
- Market Research: The ability of an individual to successfully collect and analyze valuable information regarding the needs of nonprofits and accordingly be able to provide recommendations for improvements
- Reading and Writing Comprehension: Excellent oral and written communication skills in work related documents
- Organization and Coordination: Staying focused on different tasks, and using time, energy, strength, mental capacity, physical space, etc. effectively and efficiently in order to achieve the desired outcome
- Service Orientation: Deepen knowledge of the nonprofit consulting sector
- Telecommuting: Working remotely in both a team and individually
- Communication: Connecting with both your coworkers and current as well as prospective clients with a positive personality, analytical mindset, and sense of humor
- Google Suite, especially spreadsheets and documents that can be edited collaboratively
- Video conferencing software
- Meeting recording software
- Systems for Continual Process Improvement
Minimum Education and Experience: Applicants need to be enrolled in a college or graduate program at the beginning of their internship. Previous internship experience is beneficial but not required.
Apply to One Position and One Experience, Only: Do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Apply to the one that interests you the most and then if you are invited for an interview, you may indicate interest in other positions at that time. Once we have been able to answer your questions, you can request to apply for a different position for the remainder of the interview.
Non-Discrimination Policy: All nonprofits we serve are required to be compliant with Google’s non-discrimination policies, meaning that Bashpole works with a diverse set of nonprofits such as nonprofits working with crime to mental health issues to combatting misinformation. Thus, Bashpole interns are expected to be non-discriminatory themselves and help us serve any nonprofit that fits the eligibility guidelines. See more at bashpolesoftware.com/careers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is more likely to succeed in this internship position? People with:
- a genuine interest in the nonprofit consulting sector and who have taken several classes from their chosen academic field that are relevant to this position
- proactive mindsets that like their voices to be heard
- detailed note-taking habits
- time management skills who are dependable
Why Intern at Bashpole Software?
- Real Hands-on Experience: Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship or the text-book learning of a classroom setting, Bashpole Software, Inc. provides interns with hands-on experience with real projects . Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to learn from machine learning, machine vision, natural language processing, software development, IT, marketing, management, HR, and technical writing professionals. Your training and participation in our research and development can directly help nonprofits around the world to connect with donors, volunteers, employees, constituents, and more.
- Make a Difference: In volunteering here, you can help nonprofits help the world on a larger scale than by interning for any one nonprofit. Join us in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place. This allows you to have a larger impact than if you were to volunteer with a single nonprofit or government organization alone. We are developing a first-of-its-kind system to help non-profits gain the publicity that is currently more desperately needed than ever.
- Teamwork and Mentorship: Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work in small teams of typically 3 to 5 interns. You’ll meet regularly with fellow interns on your team. You’ll also meet weekly as a team to gain direct supervision and mentorship from the company’s CEO, senior staff members, and/or more seasoned interns.
- Network with Peers, Mentors, and More: Bashpole creates networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. This will allow them to build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with staff members and fellow interns around the United States and the world. Interns often report connecting with more people in our remote internships than they do in physical classrooms of comparable size because of the ways we encourage and facilitate networking meetings.
- Company Culture: Bashpole believes it’s crucial for interns to feel comfortable speaking up for what they believe in. We value suggestions for improvements on all aspects of our company and voicing opinions about projects in team settings. Additionally, we seek interns with the ability to pursue the career growth that they want and the courage to request the kind of work that they want to do. Bashpole looks for intellectually honest individuals with a spirit of independence and interdependence.
- Workplace Readiness Training: Employers expect students to understand communication soft skills and corporate culture, however, colleges offer few opportunities for students to learn day-to-day workplace fundamentals for behavior. As a result of this, we’ve developed something unique: our Rules-of-Thumb (RoT’s) training process. The RoT’s’ are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional etiquette straight from hard-learned experiences of industry professionals. We’re developing a book and a training system for explicitly teaching this kind of advice to our employees, interns, and eventually to others which will be valuable for their future career.
- Portfolio: With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications.
- Academic Credit: If you want work-study or school-credit for the internship, we can almost always provide the kind of oversight your university would require. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is your responsibility to check with your institution to be sure you meet all requirements before you accept a position.
What is the expected time commitment? We offer both part and full-time internships. Full-time is required in the summer but available throughout the year. All of our internships have rolling start-dates, where you can start at whatever season of the year that’s most convenient for you. Generally, a full-time internship (40 hours a week, or whatever is the maximum your college allows) lasts for 3 to 4 months, and a part-time internship (12 to 20 hours a week, whatever is the maximum your college allows) lasts up to 6 months, which works out to approximately the same total time commitment either way. You are able to switch from full-time to part-time, or vice versa, as long as the duration adds up to a total of about 60 work days or 480 work hours.
What does a typical week look like?
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who typically have from 10, 20, or more years of relevant work experience.
- In addition to this, you’ll have intern-only meetings for collaborating with your peers, reviewing each other’s work, and answering each others’ questions.
- Every other week, we will have an “All Hands and Rule of Thumb (RoT) Meeting” to offer our advice about corporate culture and communications soft skills: these are mostly from lessons that we learned the ‘hard way’ in the workplace, things that no one taught us in college classes but that most employers expect you to know.
- You’ll choose hours to work by yourself by putting them on a calendar that you’ll share with your colleagues; the times of day and days of week will be flexible.
Can I join more than one team? Not simultaneously; you could only participate in one team at a time. However, we welcome and encourage sequential internships, meaning participating in one team at one time and then another team at another time.
What are the challenges to expect? This internship is going to take hard work and sometimes will be an imperfect experiment in training. There may be occasional communication at odd hours due to time differences and urgent matters. There will be more intern-intern interaction than with employees, and you can expect a mix of training from supervisors and finding and developing training yourself. Tasks may be vague and unclear at times as some assignments will be new. However, we believe interns grow by dealing with such challenges and working through them: this is how the real world works. Our organization is run by real people — and while we are not perfect — our intentions are to work hard and be the best we can be. We look for interns that have the humility to admit the same about themselves.
What have previous interns said? Check testimonials of our previous interns on our Careers page: bashpolesoftware.com/careers
What are the schedule expectations for this internship?
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours of US Eastern time – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software.
- Aside from scheduled meetings, you will have your choice for daily start and stop times; you can create a routine that works for you, as long as you make your internship your top priority.
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work part-time. For internships during the summer, work full-time. Internships can be a mix of part and full time.
- Manage your personal schedule such that you fulfill the weekly internship time you agree to.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes.
There are no costs to participate in our internships of any sort, ever. Our internship is like a class that you get to take for free, and yet even though our internships provide substantial experiential learning, we recognize that sometimes personal financial situations are an obstacle for some people. If this is a concern for you, then check with your career services center and academic advisers about whether your college offers any form of support that helps students take unpaid internships. Some colleges have scholarships, grants, stipends, or options for gaining class credit; some do not; either way, there are never fees nor expenses of any kind related to our internships, and you should be wary of any company that would try to charge you for anything for an internship.
Why is it an unpaid internship? Bashpole is a for-profit company that’s rebranding itself, which explains the start-up-like environment. Due to these circumstances, we currently don’t provide compensation. In lieu of payment, we provide interns with rich learning experiences such as receiving mentorship, the responsibility to create training, strong recommendation letters based on performance, and the opportunity to graduate to advanced management-based experiences. Bashpole Software, Inc. complies with all US Department of Labor Federal Internship Guidelines per https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm. This position also complies with NACE Criteria for internships per http://www.naceweb.org/about-us/advocacy/position-statements/position-statement-us-internships/#sthash.WbfvUjco.dpuf.