Legal Fellow (Fellowship Role)
Baltimore Corps – Baltimore, MD
About Baltimore Corps
Baltimore Corps enlists talent to accelerate social innovation in Baltimore and advance a citywide agenda for equity and racial justice. By matching talent to opportunity, Baltimore Corps works to empower the social entrepreneurs, community leaders, and public sector innovators tackling some of the city’s most pressing challenges and building a stronger Baltimore every day. Baltimore Corps is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment that values initiative, hard work, and a teachable nature. We are building a team that shares the company’s values, work ethic, and vision for the future.
Baltimore Corps seeks a proactive, detail-oriented legal professional for a one-year, full-time Legal Fellowship. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the person in this role will learn to guide and manage the wide-ranging legal affairs of a growing nonprofit. The Legal Fellow’s portfolio will include intellectual property, advocacy, contracts, employment law, government partnerships, and other areas. A formal background in these fields is not necessary, but the Fellow must have a strong interest in nonprofit law and be eager to learn. This position will provide a solid foundation and training for a future career as a nonprofit lawyer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEGAL AND COMPLIANCE (90%)
- Support and coordinate with the General Counsel on legal affairs
- Draft, negotiate, and execute agreements with Baltimore Corps partners including vendors and funders
- Support Baltimore Corps’ growing policy and advocacy agenda
- With the General Counsel and Finance team, manage partnerships with the City of Baltimore and other government entities
- Develop contracts and policies for Baltimore Corps programs
- Create and implement processes for contract management across the organization
- Coordinate with outside counsel
- Conduct legal research
- Manage and revise policy documents including the employee handbook and conflict of interest policy
- Support annual compliance needs including insurance renewals, government filings and reporting, and other organizational requirements
SPECIAL PROJECTS (10%)
- Other duties as assigned
- JD from an accredited law school
- Member of the Maryland Bar (applicants awaiting Bar Exam results will be considered)
- 2 – 5 years of professional experience, either before or after law school
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofit work and/or nonprofit law
- Mission-driven spirit and alignment with the values of Baltimore Corps
- Skills and abilities
- Strong writing skills, both legal and non-legal
- Ability to effectively problem-solve and exercise judgment
- Highly detail-oriented and precise
- Ability to manage competing demands and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments with a diverse team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to give, receive, and incorporate feedback
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in a legal or non-legal capacity
- Background in contract law, employment law, intellectual property, or government compliance (through law school coursework, internships, or work experience)
REPORTS TO: Baltimore Corps’ General Counsel
The Legal Fellow is a salaried position, with health and dental benefits. Baltimore Corps is proud to offer additional benefits for our employees including, but not limited to, generous vacation time, wellness policies, volunteer opportunities, and flexible work hours.
This position will be part of Baltimore Corps’ Fellowship cohort and receive additional professional development, coaching and support. The candidate will need to formally apply for the Fellowship once they interview for and are offered this position. Past BC Fellows are not eligible for this position.
- One year, full-time role
This role will start as fully remote work and will likely transition to a hybrid setup (remote and in-person) during the year.