At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern – Manufacturing Engineering
Join our Imaging & Surveillance Mission Area manufacturing team today! This is an opportunity to work on industry leading technology and cutting-edge products in a development or rate-build manufacturing environment. Perform task-driven duties, lead projects, plan, coordinate and lead continuous improvement projects for all product lifecycle phases from less complex, single focus activities to more complex and highly diverse activities.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide manufacturing engineering support for electro-optical hardware in a development or low volume / high product mix manufacturing environment.
- Perform task-driven program and / or process related action items under the guidance of more senior engineers.
- Contribute to generation of manufacturing schedules that meet program schedule milestones
- Actively participate in continuous improvement (Lean and 6-Sigma) projects including Kaizen events and potentially simulation / modeling activities.
- Work independently or in a team environment to resolve program issues using data- based root cause analysis; diligently applies firm corrective actions.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize information, job tasks, and manage time for most efficient and “best value” performance. Establish personal objectives; set expectations of self that are aligned with organizational and departmental goals.
- Ensure that all manufacturing procedures and processes conform to Quality Business System (QBS) and/or contract requirements for quality and performance.
- Review drawings, procedures and engineering orders for completeness. Implement engineering changes and incorporate corrective action.
- Develop and maintain manufacturing build instructions using the company Manufacturing Execution System (MES) tools and processes.
- Maintain and control production tooling in accordance with Quality Business System (QBS) requirements. Design and / or communicate tool design needs to tool design engineers.
- Contribute to and / or present technical data in support of production readiness reviews or program status reviews with program managers and customers.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including design development/test engineering, quality assurance, Supply Chain Management, process labs and outside suppliers. Maintains excellent rapport with internal / external customers.
- Maintain required records and reports in accordance with Quality Business System (QBS) requirements.
- Understand and competently use in-house business systems including Manufacturing Execution System, manufacturing shop floor control, internal status reporting, and product data management system.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2022. We will also accept students enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 – $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.