UX Research Intern
The AXON Internship Program is designed to develop emerging professionals by providing them unique opportunities to impact the world.
Check out our future vision for Axon products here: https://vimeo.com/333871354
Check out our future vision for our records product here: https://vimeo.com/221924983
Read about our ethics board: https://www.axon.com/info/ai-ethics
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
Here are a few examples of what the Product Design & Research team is working on:
- Re-thinking the 911 user experience for Dispatchers & Patrol Officers
- In-car and on-officer software applications and hardware devices
- Re-thinking record keeping and reporting in law enforcement
- Real-time event coverage and mapping
- Case building and management
- Large scale connected device management
- Evidence sharing with prosecutors and public defenders
- Event re-creation
- Drone law enforcement scenarios
- Actively pursuing an advanced degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, or similar
- A deep understanding of both generative and evaluative research methods
- You’re a phenomenal collaborator
- You live and breathe all things research and can’t stop yourself thinking about how research and improve everything around you
- You have some past research projects available for review
What you’ll learn
- Translating user data into actionable proposals for product improvements.
- Improving both your generative as well as evaluative research skills by learning from Sr. UX Researchers and Product Design & Research leadership.
- Tips and techniques for conducting research and moderating user sessions
- How Product Design & Research teams function within a company and what makes a successful UX Researcher
- User research industry best practices
- Working closely with Product Managers, Product/UX Designer and Engineers to capture and act on user data
- Create a great case study for your portfolio
What a typical day will look like
- Meet with stakeholders to understand goals and identify areas for further exploration and evaluation
- Work with the team to identify qualitative and quantitative methods for a study
- Listen in on a customer interview a Sr. Researcher is conducting.
- Grab a snack from our well-stocked pantry (our offices are open, but you can work remotely as well)
- Moderate a usability test, in-person or remote.
- Collaborate on writing interview scripts and surveys
- Source and screen study participants
- Update user personas with findings
- Present findings to Product Designers, Engineering and Product Managers.
- Exposure to leaders and amazing experts
- Mentorship and networking
- Intern program events
- Casual and fun work environment
- Diversity and Inclusion Affinity Group