Aurora is looking for a
to join our Austin office
About the position
Aurora’s mission is to provide data-driven intelligence to support the energy transition. To support this mission, we are looking for an Analyst to join our newest office in Austin, Texas.
Aurora has developed a market-leading suite of research services which provide analytics and insights to key players in energy markets around the world, both public and private. More than 300 companies access these services, representing the vast majority of power generation capacity in the market and projects in development.
Having recently expanded into the USA, this is an exciting opportunity to work on cutting edge research and inform key decisions taken by our rapidly growing group of US clients. The successful candidate will work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and demanding yet supportive environment. Working as part of a close-knit team, you will enjoy autonomy, the opportunity to substantially influence major decisions in the energy sector, and the chance to grow into an industry expert.
Based in Austin, Texas, you will develop analysis and conveying insights to enhance clients’ decision making. You will play an active role in all aspects of research and client engagement: helping identify issues, form hypotheses, conduct analysis, and synthesize conclusions into recommendations.
The successful applicant will combine strong quantitative ability with a strong track record of performance in team-oriented environments.
The position suits a recent graduate of a bachelor’s or master’s program. At this time, we will only be considering US citizens and green card holders for this role.
Aurora Energy Research is a dynamic and fast-growing energy consulting and analytics company. We are contributing to the global energy transition through analysis, tools and data, and inform the decisions of most major European energy market participants. Our subscription business provides data and intelligence on energy market dynamics to leading private and public-sector clients; our consulting team supports our clients’ long-term strategic and investment decisions. We cover all key energy commodities, with particular focus on the power sector and low-carbon energy transformation.
Aurora was founded in 2013 by a group of University of Oxford academics on the premise that technological progress and policy interventions make energy markets increasingly complex. Our mission is to provide rigorous, sophisticated analysis and energy market modelling to address this increasing market complexity. Aurora is now a thriving, rapidly growing company of over 160 staff with offices in Oxford, Berlin, Sydney and Austin. We currently serve 300 of Europe’s most influential energy sector participants, including utilities, investors and governments, and expect to continue to grow rapidly, adding new countries and SaaS products to our portfolio.
- Develop timely and rigorous quantitative analyses to enhance clients’ decision making.
- Work closely with our modelling team, structuring economic problems into quantifiable analyses and deriving insights from the model results.
- Contribute to Aurora’s product development, by identifying new opportunities and expanding our capabilities.
- Engage with clients to thoroughly understand their requirements.
- Communicate findings to clients.
What we offer
- A dynamic, intellectually stimulating, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to grow with the company, take on further responsibilities and bring in your own ideas.
- A fun and international work culture
- The chance to influence key decisions in the energy sector through exceptional analysis.
- A competitive salary package.
What we are looking for
- 0 – 2 years’ experience in energy markets at an energy company, leading strategic or economic consultancy, energy trading house or brokerage, or financial services company.
- First class or high second class degree from a top university in a quantitative subject (Math, Economics, Physics, Engineering, Finance)
- The ability to collect, analyze and interpret complex quantitative data and information.
- The ability to communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical parties.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mind-set, and desire to grow the business.
- Strong interest in energy and power markets.
- Evidence of strong performance in team-oriented environments
- Demonstrated success in project management.
- Experience with statistical tools and techniques.
- Experience with at least one programming language, e.g. C++, Matlab, Python, R, etc.
- Knowledge of an algebraic modelling language, such as GAMS (preferred) or AMPL.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
The successful candidate would start from mid-April 2021. We will review applications as they are received. Salary will be competitive with experience.
To apply, please submit your CV, a brief cover letter, your salary expectations and state your earliest possible start date to the following link
Aurora values diversity and is committed to the principle that no employee or job applicant shall receive unfavourable treatment on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.