Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Carry out empirical, analytical, and numerical analyses for purposes of tunnel and shaft design (initial support and final lining) for various tunnel construction methods such as drill and blast, sequential excavation method, or TBM bored.
- Interpret and organize design results into project documentation such as Technical Memos Geotechnical Data, Interpretive, or Baseline Reports, or Basis of Design reports
- Characterize and classify ground conditions for different tunneling methods based on geotechnical information.
- Communicate design work through Preparation of drawing sketches indicating support types, geometry, construction sequencing, and instrumentation.
- Use tunnel design software such as FLAC/FLAC3D, UDEC/3DEC, RocScience, or FracMan.
- Undertake geological mapping and rock mass classification on site.
- Apply rock and soil mechanics skills to assess likely failure modes and develop ground support schemes.
- Undertake linear and non-linear structural analysis of shotcrete and concrete tunnel linings based on Code requirements using first principles or structural design software packages (SAP, GSA).
- Make use of automation and established workflows to follow best practice. Develop workflows and ideas for automation where none exist.
- Work in multidisciplinary teams for delivery of large scale infrastructure projects for transportation, water/wastewater, or mining.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Underground Construction/Tunneling, Geotechnical, Structural, Geological, or Mining Engineering
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals, soil and rock mechanics, and tunneling methods
- Good time-management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
- Ability to communicate thoughts and ideas in an accessible way – distill design tasks and solutions into concise text and presentation slides
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity.
- Master of Science or Master’s of Engineering in Underground Construction/Tunneling, Geotechnical, Structural, Geological, or Mining Engineering
- EIT/FE desired
- Numerical modeling skills using one of the tunnel design software packages described above
- Computer programming and visualization skills (Matlab, Python, Rhino)
- A relevant internship with an engineering design or contracting firm
- Past history of creative problem solving and communication of solutions through technical presentations or reports
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day.
- Long Baseline Neutrino Facility
- BHP Jansen Shaft Project
- Billy Bishop Pedestrian Tunnel
- San Francisco’s Central Subway
- NYC Second Avenue Subway
- NYC 7 Line Subway Extension
- Lake Mead Intake No. 3 Tunnel
- Silicon Valley Clean Water Tunnel
Flexible Working – We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options include alternative schedules, part-time or reduced hours schedule, and/or the ability to work remotely for a portion of your work week.
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Arup offers many benefits to eligible FT employees, some of which are outlined below:
- Global Profit Share – paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) – with a dollar-for-dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.