Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Create solutions to built environment challenges using the art and science of structural engineering
- Design structural systems and perform structural analysis within a team of engineers
- Deliver structural engineering drawings, calculations, reports, sketches and presentations
- Collaborate with internal and external parties
- Attend meetings and learn from listening, asking questions and discussion.
- Working in a multi disciplinary design team to develop sustainable solutions
- Learn and implement software and technology skills to perform structural analysis, design, and documentation
- Continually develop new skills and experience through Arup University, Arup Structural Skills Network, and on-the-job learning
- Learn and understand local and international codes and regulations
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering or related fields
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- Coursework in structural analysis, advanced steel design and advanced reinforced concrete design
- Professional demeanor
- Skills in planning and organizing
- Ability to perform in a deadline environment
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn.
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering with emphasis on Structures
- Coursework in structural dynamics, earthquake engineering
- FE/ EIT certification
- Structural software skills, AutoCAD skills, Revit skills, 3D modeling skills (Rhino, SketchUp, etc.), coding skills (MySQL, Python, etc)
- Past internship with a design firm or extracurricular activity in the field
- Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
- Personal engagement in an academic, volunteer or extracurricular field
- Ability to visually communicate through a variety of media
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our Structural discipline include:
- 181 Fremont Tower
- Apple Park
- Las Vegas High Roller Observation Wheel
- Newport Beach Civic Center and Park
- UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay
- San Francisco Zuckerberg General Hospital
- California College of the Arts Campus Expansion
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Existing Building Rehabilitation
- Grand Hyatt SFO Hotel
- Reflected Loop Sculpture
- COSMOS Sculpture in Sunnyvale
- Arizona State University Creative Futures Lab at Mesa City Center
- Houston Endowment Headquarters
- Little Island
- 80M (showcasing a recent timber and retrofit project) Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas
- (W)rapper Tower Los Angeles
- Loma Linda University Hospital Campus (please check correct project name)
- Modernization of T2 and T3 at Los Angeles International Airport for Delta Airlines
We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options include alternative schedules, part-time or reduced hours schedule, and/or the ability to work remotely for a portion of your work week.
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Arup offers many benefits to eligible FT employees, some of which are outlined below:
- Global Profit Share – paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) – with a dollar-for-dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.