Apex is seeking an analytical and action-oriented Wind Energy Analyst to support Apex Clean Energy’s portfolio of utility-scale wind development projects. This position will report directly to the Manager of Resource Assessment and is part of a small, collaborative, entrepreneurial team. The Wind Energy Analyst will be responsible for analyzing meteorological data, energy production and operational data and utilizing that information to prepare energy analyses, project designs, and general guidance to inform and optimize development, financing, construction, and operation of Wind Power Projects. The Wind Energy Analyst will work within the Technology Department on the Resource Assessment Team and interact with multiple disciplines in the company to ensure relevant data and analysis drives decision making and overall project quality. The candidate for this position should be adaptable and capable of working with an energetic team of professionals and should be familiar with basic principles of wind energy assessment.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of viewpoints. The Energy Analyst position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and have the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Technology
- Travel: Limited
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
Your primary responsibilities in this role will include:
- Wind energy assessment, plant design, and optimization to support the technical needs of projects in development, financing, construction and operation.
- Secure, assimilate, and synthesize on-site measurement data to conduct accurate resource and energy assessments.
- Optimize and model utility-scale wind energy plant models in Openwind to produce energy predictions.
- Analyze and apply losses and uncertainty estimates for plant production estimates.
- Coordinate and evaluate consultants and independent engineers on 3rd party assessments as needed and to support financing or diligence from counterparties.
- Occasional travel to project sites to conduct in field micro-siting.
- Support Asset Management in analysis and understanding of operating wind plant performance relative to pre-construction energy estimates.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Statistics, Physics, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated professional experience with Windographer, Openwind, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and review code in Python
- Experience with databases and general understanding of information technology and database design
- Knowledge, both technical and commercial, of how renewable energy assets are developed, constructed, operated, and financed
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to solve scientific and technical problems is required
- Demonstrated ability to work across cultures, business units, and with external parties to influence people and drive change in the best interest of Apex Clean Energy and our projects is required
- Strong communication skills in both verbal and written form are required
- Professional appearance and manner
- High attention to detail and commitment to customer service
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia (and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.