Position: Communications Writer
Supervisor: Senior Manager, Writing and Entertainment Outreach
The Communications Writer is responsible for day-to-day writing, editing assignments and managing the flow of new and existing AFSP content for use in our marketing, website, national blog, social media and more. The role involves working with staff, volunteers and other external audiences as part of our storytelling and awareness efforts; managing and editing a regular schedule of blog content from both clinical experts and general submissions; supporting content for inclusion in a monthly newsletter; and collaborating with the rest of the Communications teams on national campaigns that help create a culture that’s smart about mental health. The position will work closely with our Senior Manager of Writing and Entertainment Outreach to draft and finalize copy, create program and event descriptions and educational content, and support more long-term writing projects such as the organization’s annual report.
This position requires scheduling skills with multiple stakeholders (i.e. staff, volunteers, external partners) and managing multiple content/copy projects at one time with ease, as well as the ability to work with internal content experts to communicate clinical or difficult concepts in a way that a general, lay audience can easily understand. The ideal candidate will be creative, driven, good-humored, and passionate about suicide prevention and mental health, and feel comfortable engaging with this topic on an ongoing basis.
Educations, Skills & Requirements:
● Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Advertising, or another area of study involving writing
● Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience working in writing, editing, or copywriting field
● Highly motivated individual with ability to work in fast, dynamic work environment
● Ability to maintain and juggle multiple or competing priorities at one time
● Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to listen to and interpret requests and needs
● Strong knowledge of fundamental writing, editing, and copyediting principles
● Ability to work in a team dynamic – and a sense of humor – is a plus
● Working knowledge of a content management system such as WordPress is a plus
Salary and Benefits:
22 PTO (vacation, sick, wellness and personal days) your first year of employment (5 additional days 2nd year)
10% employer retirement contribution after 2 years of employment
Flexible Summer Fridays
Low to Mid 50s depending on experience
Please submit resume, cover letter and two (2) writing samples to email@example.com. Write “CommsWriter” in the subject line.