The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified Senior Manager/Director for its Utilities Program. ACEEE, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980, develops transformative policies to reduce energy waste and combat climate change. With our independent analysis, we aim to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, reduces costs, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is team-oriented with a strong dedication to its mission. Staff work at a high-energy pace in an entrepreneurial environment that emphasizes professional growth and development. ACEEE offers a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE a fun and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work.
ACEEE seeks a Senior Manager/Director (level based on candidate’s expertise and years of experience) to lead the organization’s research and outreach activities on energy efficiency and decarbonization in the utility sector, including ACEEE’s newest initiative: Climate-Forward Efficiency. ACEEE’s Utility Program covers topics that span both electricity and natural gas utilities, including energy efficiency as a utility resource and decarbonization tool, buildings-to-grid integration, electrification, utility rate design, energy markets, resource planning, distributed energy resources, utility business models, and cost benefit analysis, working towards reaching 80% carbon-free electricity in the majority of states by 2030. The utilities work also involves federal, state, and local policy. This position is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with experience working on utility-related issues, a passion for addressing climate change, and an interest in furthering his or her career in a dynamic and growing sector.
The Senior Manager/Director supervises a staff of three, reports to ACEEE’s Senior Director for Policy, and collaborates closely with other teams at ACEEE, especially the State Policy Program. The Senior Manager/Director leads research projects often resulting in externally-reviewed research reports, fact sheets, formal presentations, webinars, press interviews, and/or blog posts. Building on ACEEE research, this role provides technical assistance to outside partners and policymakers on energy efficiency policy. Technical assistance can include presenting ACEEE research, writing memos, and submitting formal regulatory or legislative testimony or comments. In a highly visible role, the Senior Manager/Director represents ACEEE externally through press interviews, webinars, and other forms of communications.
· Defining strategic direction for Utility Program research and technical assistance priorities
· Conducting research and analysis on a variety of utility policy topics
· Managing and preparing complex ACEEE research projects or publications
· Developing new projects and funding proposals
· Managing timelines and budgets
· Leading a team of research staff, providing project oversight and coaching and professional development
· Engaging with policymakers, regulators, and energy efficiency advocates
· Maintaining relationships with utilities, regulatory staff, non-governmental organizations, and national and state policy leaders involved with utilities
· Representing ACEEE externally to media, policymakers, funders, and the efficiency community as a recognized expert
· Interacting with funders and pursuing new funding opportunities
· Strategic thinker and ability to develop and implement a vision
· Capable of engaging with external stakeholders
· Ability to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines
· Highly analytical and an eye for detail
· Deadline management
· Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
· Tech-savvy and self-starter
· Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills
· Articulate and thoughtful
· Teamwork oriented
· An advanced degree in a relevant field including (but not limited to) energy and the environment, public policy, engineering, or science
· Demonstrated expertise in the energy utility sector, including some experience with energy efficiency programs and policies with at least 10 years of relevant work experience
· Project and staff management experience
· Experience with utility regulatory processes, related state policies, and utility rate design
Preferred start date: on or about Nov 15, 2021. The position is located in Washington, DC. Preferred candidate will be based in the DC office when safe, but position can be remote with regular trips to Washington DC.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range $92,010 – $138,036 and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Utilities Program Senior Manager/Director” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls or emails about the position.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.