At AltrixBio, we are developing a platform for management metabolic disease including; Type 2 Diabetes (T2D), Obesity, and NAFLD/NASH. Type 2 Diabetes represents a global societal and economic burden affecting over 642M people worldwide by 2040. According to the CDC, >30M Americans have diabetes, 90-95% of which have T2D, and over 1 out of 3 Americans have pre-diabetes. In 2017, the American Diabetes Association published an annual cost of $327B for diabetes, making it the most expensive chronic disease in the US. Although many anti-diabetic medications are available, they do not provide effective glucose control at a population level, with only 50% of medicated T2D patients having blood glucose levels within national guidelines. Furthermore, T2D is the leading cause of amputations, renal failure, and blindness in the western world. there is a significant unmet need for a more effective therapeutic with a better safety profile and reduced side effects.
AltrixBio’s lead platform is being developed with the intention to circumvent the known side effects of current therapies while effectively providing an effective therapy for metabolic diseases as well as being evaluated for drug delivery purposes of known compounds to the GI tract.
AltrixBio is seeking an exceptional candidate for a scientist level position. Incumbent will be reporting to Director of R&D. The position is currently available as a full-time opportunity.
The candidate will be responsible for design, optimization, and execution of all activities related to the formulation development, analytical testing, drug release and testing.
• Conduct research activities in the laboratory while complying to lab safety guidelines.
• Execute design of experiments (DoE) to prepare various formulations of drug/carrier to optimize drug encapsulation efficiency and loading capacity.
· Conduct testing of the formulation prototypes via viscosity measurements.
· Conduct time-dependent drug release studies using suitable in-vitro methods and construct release curves as a function of drug loading.
• Conduct analytical testing on drug release via HPLC/UPLC or UV spectrometer methods.
• Conduct drug stability studies using HPLC/UPLC based liquid chromatography techniques.
• Prepare power point slides for presentation at weekly R&D meetings.
• Author monthly reports summarizing formulation development activities and key results for submission to management team.
• Maintain lab-notebook as per the standards set-forth by the company.
• Masters of Science or PhD (Preferred) in the field(s) of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Material Sciences program.
· One to two years of industrial experience in the area of formulations or analytical testing of dosages based on hydrogels, creams, solid oral dosage, and/or parenteral formulations based on polymers/lipids.
· Strong understanding of the physical and chemical characterization of hydrogels, mucoadhesive polymers, and films.
· Experience with analytical techniques such as chromatography or spectroscopy including HPLC/UPLC/UV-Vis, XRPD, Particle Sizing, Rheometer, and Microscopy.
· Proficient with additional analytical techniques such as ELISA and/or Western Blotting.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, keeping key stakeholders and management informed of status, issues and recommended solutions.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Tools such as MS Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
· Incumbent should be able to work independently or in team environment.
· Incumbent should be able to manage multiple projects/lab related activities.
· A collaborator who communicates in an open, clear, complete, timely and consistent manner.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
WHO WE ARE:
AltrixBio’s mission is to dramatically improve the lives of patients suffering from metabolic disorders. Our singular focus is to use our deep understanding of gastrointestinal disease pathophysiology and drug delivery/formulations to craft highly selective medicines.
We are driven by the pursuit of new ideas, new innovations, and new ways of thinking.
We know that what each and every one of us does matters and that our success depends on our ability to work together. We believe we are at our best as a company when our employees are thriving and foster a culture that provides opportunities to grow and develop professionally, while also having fun.