Data Science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be an expert/fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end predictive analytics products to optimize future decisions. Individual demonstrates sufficient analytic agility to quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as those disciplines evolve. The Big Data Engineer job family is accountable for end to end engineering of data solutions which includes designing and building systems for data storage and analytics that enable Allstate analysts to make better decisions to achieve Allstate’s goals.
About the Role
This role is responsible for providing input on tracks of work to deliver Big Data solutions enabling advanced data science and analytics. This includes working with the team on new Big Data systems for analyzing data; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. This role contributes to the structured and unstructured Big Data / Data Science tools.
- Executes basic to moderately complex functional work tracks for the team.
- Partners closely with team members on Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users.
- Provides support to team on development of basic to moderately complex technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes.
- Develops innovative solutions to Big Data issues and challenges within the team
- Provides support to team on the development of basic to moderately complex prototypes and department applications that integrate big data and advanced analytics to make business decisions.
- Uses new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, and distribution) that can solve business problems.
- 0 – 2 Years of experience or equivalent skills & ability
- Bachelors or Master’s preferred in a quantitative or scientific field such as computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of using software development to drive data science & analytic efforts.
- Experience with database & ETL concepts.
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Relational, Unstructured, Hierarchical, and Linked “Graph” Data).
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C, R, SQL, XSLT.
- Ability to communicate and present technical topics to technical audiences.