Cleveland.com seeks a data reporter who can analyze and turn a variety of datasets into easy-to-understand information for readers. Cleveland.com is a highly innovative, digital news organization where experimentation and flexibility are a must. We are leaders in digital news, yet we are grounded in the ethics of solid journalism.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
• Ability to locate, digest and create daily data stories to deepen reporting on the multitudes of data available. These can be on any topic relevant to the lives of Ohioans including public health, the economy, sports and more.
• Desire to utilize FOIA to uncover data and write enterprise stories on data that impacts Ohio residents.
• Responsible for visualizing the data, with the help of the digital content specialist, and be able to create databases, interactive graphics and more.
• Familiarity and willingness to learn new tools and software to analyze and visualize data, such as Carto and Datawrapper.
• A background in reporting not only be able to analyze data, but also be able to write daily and enterprise pieces explaining the data.
•Ability to tell stories in smart and engaging ways and be willingness to experiment in different story-telling forms.
• Degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field required
• Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing required
• Ability to work independently and remotely
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a substantial 401k plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
Advance Ohio is a digitally focused company that operates cleveland.com and Sun News and is responsible for multimedia ad sales, marketing and content for The Plain Dealer, Sun News, and cleveland.com.
Advance Ohio is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.