The Oregonian/OregonLive is looking for an energetic, curious, prolific reporter to join our team of business, technology and data reporters. This position will find retail and business scoops, can navigate data to find trends, rankings and lists, and will broaden the audience for business news from insiders to consumers and small business owners. This reporter will be expected to publish brief newsy retail items frequently with an emphasis on openings/closings, trends, rankings and other clever use of business data.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
• Minimum of 3-5 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting, writing and business journalism required
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
• Ability to respond to audience metrics to expand reader/viewership, inform reporting
• Ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
• Solid understanding of data journalism and data visualization best practices • Experience with search engine optimization practices
• Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus • Basic HTML or equivalent web language a plus
• Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
• Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
• Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, Internet, etc.
• Mastery of social media and digital interaction
• Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
• Keeps abreast of industry advances and proactively considers new methods of reaching audiences including engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a substantial 401k plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
Oregonian Media Group is the most trusted source for news and information in Oregon and Southwest Washington. A digitally focused company, Oregonian Media Group provides content when and where readers want it – online, on smartphones and on tablets – through OREGONLIVE and a range of digital products. As the largest media company in the state, Oregonian Media Group is also advertisers’ strongest media partner, with an innovative suite of products to help them connect with their best customers.
Oregonian Media Group is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.