NJ Advance Media/NJ.com is seeking a versatile breaking and local news reporter ready to handle a variety of statewide assignments with immediacy while also developing short and longer-term enterprise. We are seeking a candidate who can build sources and relationships while serving in a general assignment role.
The ideal candidate is someone who can move quickly and pivot regularly, someone capable of racing out to cover a breaking news situation, but also pitching and executing ideas of their own.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field required
- A minimum of one year in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required.
- Experience in breaking news, public safety and court reporting, as well as search engine optimization is preferred.
- An ability to cultivate sources to break news and drive coverage that differentiates our organization from competitors
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- A willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
- Ability to work remotely.
- Availability to work weekends, some holidays and occasional irregular hours to meet the needs of the breaking news staffing.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.